Lost a hen today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 21hens-incharge, Aug 2, 2014.

1. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Odd thing about it is she was fine at 5 pm and when I went out a little bit ago she was deceased.
    Miss Bee was a 2 year old silver spangled hamburg.
    I found her laying like she was sleeping in the run. I thought "How odd she never does that" and sure enough she was gone.
    Yesterday she had enough gumption to be a brat and today she was acting like her normal self, then poof.

It is my sincere hope she did just lay down and go to sleep.
    There were no signs of anything having gotten hold of her.

Sad to lose any.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Your state vet could do a necropsy to find a cause of death if you are worried, but many chickens can just drop dead without having a lot of outward signs. It makes most of us want to go in and examine weight, crops, vents, look for lice and mites, and think about worming a couple of times a year.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Totally did that today. I had wormed them about 2 months ago and had had a mite infestation about 3 weeks ago. I only found mites on 3 of 22 hens. I treated everyone for the mites and went through the coops treating every surface after a full clean out. I only found mites in the 2 coops that have exterior nests. I did a full clean out this morning and inspected every hen. ( They were not pleased)
    I inspected every nook and cranny of every coop and found not one bit of evidence that there were new mites. I retreated the coops today just in case.
    I have accepted that they will sometimes just up and die. DH reminded me that she was 3 not 2. She had even layed an egg yesterday. Baffling but not uncommon I guess.

I have had so much trouble with my in town flock. The hens I had before I never had an issue with. I had 28 laying hens and some bantams for the pure joy of it. Never had mites, only lost 2 in five years. One drowned in the cattle tank ( I still think the ex drowned her) and one that was a Japanese black tail that had gone broody in January.
    Miss Bee is buried next to Miss Lilly Underfoot.
    By Gods good graces may she be the last one I lose this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by