Lost a hen what was it!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by crzychicken, Jan 26, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I lost 1 of my pullets this weekend my brother was taken care of them . Not sure what got her but look to me like a hawk although my brother said she was gone I found her poor little halk eaten body outside at the backside of the coop at the fence and feathers in 3 or places her head was gone and 1/2 of her breast and wing any Ideas what got her

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    was she nicely plucked?

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    where whatever ate her there was non and her head was gone no tracks just where she was and it move here because two spots had feathers with skin attached

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

wow, that is soo sad...my parrot was killed by a hawk! [​IMG] i kno how you feel... [​IMG] i cried my eyes out when it happened, hopfully, you find what did it

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if it was a hawk/ raptor, you'll find that they'll pluck their capture clean before they start eating, and when they do, they'll strip the meat off the bones...

If you find pieces of chicken scattered everywhere/ messy, then I doubt it's a hawk.

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I saw a hawk dead alongside the highway yesterday on the way home. I wish I had a camera with me because it looked like it really got plastered. Hope this helps! It helped me like rooting for the underdog! TAKE THAT HAWK!!!

7. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    One of my Labs got a hawk last year. The hawk got a snake at the edge of the woods by our house and was having trouble picking it up for some reason. he ignored what was going on around him and my Lab came up from behind on a full run. The hawk heard him and started to take off, but it was too late. The dog got ahold of the back of the neck and gave it one of those "death shakes". That was it for the hawk. I felt bad, but the dog was just doing what comes natural - just like the hawk was.

8. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    I don't believe this was the work of a hawk. I have seen several hawk kills on bantams chickens, morning dove and blue jays. They seem to pluck the feathers in the area they eat.

I think your predator is a coon, fox or maybe even a dog. I've never seen a hawk eat the head of anything, not even a small dove.

Hoot

9. chickieboy

chickieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    broken bow
    a coon or a fox wouldna carry it a way . i had a fox kill one of my tame guineas it ate from the rear end and suck out all of the inside all that was left was feather and skin u couldna stuff it and put it on your desk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by