1. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I lost one of my young hens for reasons unknown. I had thought it was related to the extremely hot weather since she was showing no outward signs of disease other than her lack of eating and drinking and lack of movement. I buried her in the field. Should I be worried about the others getting sick? They all seem very healthy and energetic.

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I would watch them closely. Sometimes you don't know a bird is sick until it is too late. They hide their illness so they won't be picked on by the rest of the flock. Other times it may just be a sudden death from some type of internal abnormality that isn't obvious from the outside, but is not compatible with life. Also could be a heart attack. Best thing to do is continue to observe, make sure the birds all have lots of clean, fresh water, that there is nothing moldy that they can get into, that they have food available, and places to get out of the heat. Good luck with your birds.

3. myblackf150

myblackf150 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Evington, VA
    I had the same thing happen to me. I watched all my others close and did not notice anything. I think all my other hens were in a better mood after the sick one was gone. Sorry bout the loss!

4. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Quote:Yea, the others seem like they are in a better mood too. It was always like they didn't want to go TOO far from her, but they still wanted to do their thing. Now they are just back to running around the yard all crazy again.

Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by