Lost a polish baby :(

flnatv

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
West Tennessee
I know it happens all the time, but this is the first one I have lost AND my daughters favorite so far...
I checked on it at 5am and at 7am it had passed away.
Was shipped on Wed. and we got them on Friday....

What is the possibility of losing more after they are about 5 days?
They all look healthy, are eating and drinking... even the one that died didn't seem sick or in distress... it was a total suprise.

We have been fighting pasty butt, but this one didn't have it... We clean bottoms a few times a day... is this enough?

I am sorry for your loss. It's hard.

We lost a BR when she was 2 weeks old. Everything was fine when I checked on her at 4; she passed by 5.

Oh no! I'm so sorry you list one
sad.png
I'm forever worrying about that, especially since it seems to happen very quickly.

Jenn

Thanks... I just would have rather known there was something wrong in advance...
All I can say is it was spoiled rotten in its short little life
smile.png

Okay... I'm a newbie and I am sure someone can get more technical for you....
What I have read is that it is usually caused from a stressfull situation (such as mine being shipped for 48 hours)...
Their poop sticks to the vent (bootie) and will not allow other poop to "come out"... causing blockage.
If you don't keep it clean they can die...

Okay... basically that is the elementary terminology for you
smile.png
(can you tell I teach school... lol )

If you want more technical, I would try and look at the tabs at the top of the page or post the question in the health section.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry.
sad.png
I almost lost a chick due to a severe respiratory infection already. I use probios(probiotics) and apple cider vinegar in their water. I treated my whole flock with antibiotics(fish mox, it's pure amoxicillin). I also use polyvisol vitamins without iron for a few days. The apple cider vinegar will clear pasty butt. Make sure it's organic. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom