Lost a Polish this morning...Stress?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TouchO'Lass, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Yesterday was their first time outside. Three weeks old and they LOVED the run, but one of the Polish just stayed at a far end all by herself. I held her and she ran up my shoulder, would run back to the group then go back to the far end and just doze.

She was fine when I checked them back in their brooder last night (inside and warm), but she was gone when I got up this morning. I know they're the most fragile of my group (6 Barred, 5 Eggers, 5 Polish) but it just makes me sad that I couldn't help her. I'm a realist, I know it's (almost) inevitable to lose a chick, but it's just sad that I couldn't help her...

Just hoping it wasn't something I did...[​IMG] Can they die from stress?

2. winnman

winnman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    sorry about your loss

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    What was the temperature there today? Maybe not warm enough?

4. TouchO'Lass

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    What was the temperature there

Sun was shining, about 70 out and they've been shying away from 75 in the brooder, no wind to chill them, and all the rest were loving it...[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. TouchO'Lass

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Another beautiful day today after what's been an endless dreary winter, and I just hafta take the ladies out and let them get some excersize. They were cooped up all day yesterday and they need some space. I know they'll be outside for good soon, but I just couldn't stand to lose another one:(

Hope I'm not pushing them too soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by