Lost a second hen today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RichnSteph, Dec 15, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    The wife let me know that one of our Orpingtons was acting strange today. Lethargic, back end matted with bloody discharge and she was vomiting up a smelly little slimy mix of something green. I got home and we treated her with Kocci-free for coccidosis and we began giving her ACV/water in a syringe. Within an hour she made a couple of drawn out "braaaak" noises, went into a seizure and died. She also had a mess of mites on her that weren't there a few days ago.

We are at a complete loss as to what in the heck happened here. The plan this weekend is to once again sterilize the entire coop and water dishes. Our coop is cleaned regularly in fact it was cleaned just yesterday.

RichnSteph

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How are the rest of your hens doing? Bloody discharge sounds like she may have had a egg laying problem....... Did you do a necropsy?

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The crop fails to empty when intestinal blockage, inflammation, or damage occurs. How old are your birds?

4. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    The rest of the birds are doing great. We didn't do a necropsy since I'd have no idea what I was even looking at. The hen that died was 1.5 years old and was in perfect health up until this.

RichnSteph.

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Have you ever dewormed or used a Coccidiosis preventative?

6. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Yes. We just got out of our withdraw period about 10 days ago following your advice to do a booster of valbazen after the wazine.

RichnSteph

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Okay. What about using a Coccidiosis preventative like Amprolium?

8. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    We were trying to go as natural as possible and didn't use Amprolium or any other preventatives other than the wormers. I'm guessing that Amprolium would be a good idea at this point?

RichnSteph

9. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I certainly would. I would use a treatment dose for 5-7 days, then do a preventative dose 3 weeks later for 5-7 days. After the last day of Corid, use some poultry vitamins and Probios dispersible powder for 2-3 days. I use Probios at 1 tsp per gallon once a week. As far as natural preventatives go, probiotics may not stop coccidia from being present, but will certainly assist the immune system during outbreaks. When it comes to Coccidiosis ionosphores are needed Here are dosages for Corid (Amprolium):

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
    The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Here is some info on Coccidiosis:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by