lost a silkie bantam peep last night,quick one was getting better..now

prov31gal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
over the mountain
what could i have done, if anything, differently. 2 back bearded silkie bantams were smooshed under standards in the bottom of the box when they arrived. one couldnt peep but was opening and closing its beak, and wouldnt open its eyes. one was about the same, but could make a tiny raspy peep noise. neither could really stand. i put them directly under the lamp. they just layed there. i tried to put single drops of sugar water on their beaks , and they seemed to drink it. they kind of started to stand and walk almost, but the one that died was really floppy. i took it out and held it next to the heat, because it would drink the single drops off my finger, but couldnt from the waterer. neither would eat. well, it died in my hand as i held it. should i have just left it? it was really weak. what else could i do to have helped it?
i did the same with the other untill about 2 am, then i just left it alone under the lamp. it was panting and just laying around.i fell asleep on the couch and at about 3 am i heared a loud peeping, and it was the lonely silkie bantam that was left. i tried watering it once more,it started walking around and is no taking food and water on its own! it is still wobbly, and a little floppy, but it is walking and peeping and eating and drinking. i hope it lives, what could i do?

update, the good one is just kind sitting there all jelly like, he is sitting up, but he seems like he might fall over. what can i do?

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif
I hate when I lose a baby....especially when I do everything I can to keep it alive... Which hatchery did you order from? When I order from Cackle Hatchery, they won't ship standards with bantams for fear of the bantams getting smushed.

well, it was from cackle, it was in a hatchery surprise. ive never had them ship banies with standards before, at least always in a segmented box. per haps it was a oversight? i love cackle and dont blame them, i got quite an assortment, and all the others are wonderful, but i am afraid i did someting wrong, maybe i should have just left them alone for a while?

Back
Top Bottom