Lost a Special little Friend, just thought he was worth mentioning....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenzoo, May 24, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He was a Speckled Sussex cockerel, about 4 months old. Since he was born he was always chasing my finger, always there to be the first to greet me. I named him Mr. Speckles. He was sweet as pie and loved to be held, loved the attention and was never mean to anyone.....one of the only reasons I had an excuse to keep another Roo. LOL. He was just a special little guy. I noticed he was getting weaker, thinner and all I did for him did not help. He lost his fight this morning. I think I knew last night even though he seemed better. I had held him and kissed him and talked to him awhile. I don't even have a good pic of him, but he was special to me and I thought the least I could do for him would be to mention he meant something in his short little life.
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaawwwww zoo I am so sorry [​IMG] I know there are those special little boys for sure. RIP Mr. Speckles
  3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    So sorry for your loss. I'm one who thinks of my chickens as livestock, not pets.. BUT.. there are a few who just work their way into your hearts and earn a name, and become a pet ( out of about 40, I have 4 of those silly livestock-wanna-be-pet-chickens).
    I hope you find a special friend again one day.
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] and more [​IMG]

I do not know how those little roos manage to wrap us around their little toe and worm their way into our hearts but they sure do. [​IMG]

Strut proud Mr. Speckles as you cross the bridge, may the bugs be juicy, grass tender and the dust bathing fantastic.
  5. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

thanks for sharing
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I am sorry for your loss. Much as we try there are those chickens that just work their way into our hearts. Even though I don't believe in attributeing human emotions to animals, you just have to believe that somehow, someway their short life was made better because you were apart of it.

Take care

Rancher [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and Amen! to all the above. Mr. Speckles certainly was worth mentioning, thank you for sharing even though you're hurting.

Find a special place to bury him, maybe at the drip line of a special shrub that has spotted leaves. Then Mr Speckles can contribute to its growth, and in that way, continue on.
  8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Awwwww! [​IMG]
    It's always the ones that touch us deepest that seem to leave the soonest. Glad you spent some extra cuddle time yesterday!!
  9. ParlorCityChickens

ParlorCityChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    [​IMG] So sorry! RIP Mr. Speckles.
  10. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    “Grief is the price we pay for love” - Elizabeth II

I am sorry for your loss.

I am sure he knew that he was loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by