1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost a turkey to Blackhead

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Hi!
    At least that's what I thought it was and treated it as such (from previous posts, thanks), but the turkey didn't respond to treatment and died today.
    That one was a 2 yr old Royal Palm male --- hatched here and lived in the chicken yard since hatch.
    Now I'm concerned about my older Bourbon Red jake.
    Might he develop Blackhead too? I *thought* after all this time, if I hadn't seen Blackhead, then Blackhead wouldn't be an issue.
    I wonder if this is *yet another* poultry ill brought on by the outragous heat and heat stress.
    Does this mean I can never raise more turkeys here?
    Thanks for any insight,
    Lisa

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Lisa, We had an issue last year with our turkeys - all the signs (we thought) of blackhead. We had a vet come out and take samples (oral and rectal), which showed cocci. Try sulmet, followed by vitamins and electrolytes, followed by acidified copper sulfate. I would recommend before any treatment, having a stool sample checked by a vet to confirm cocci tho. Meds are hard on their systems, so I don't like to treat the unknown.

We use acidified copper sulfate randomly in our turkey water as a preventative for blackhead. You don't want them on it all of the time, but an occasional treatment is good. I was told by our local ag that blackhead hasn't been identified in our area in many years. Our farm store had never even heard of it. But I feel prevention is the best way to handle it. It is my understanding that blackhead can be cured with Metronidazole (250mg 2 tablets twice a day for 5 days) prescribed from a vet.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by