lost all 35

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahclrksn, May 15, 2009.

1. sarahclrksn

sarahclrksn Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    okay this was our first time incubating eggs, we have the square styrofoam with the turner and fan in it. last night which would have been day 25 we checked the eggs...there was nothing in any of them except thick yellow liquid...what did we do wrong...

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    oh dear. You should have checked those eggs the first week. Any number of things could be the problem:
    Old eggs
    Infertile eggs
    Bad temperature
    Bad humidity
    etc

Where did you get the eggs? Were they refrigerated when you got them? Have you been monitoring the incubator temp?

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I would say poor fertility-? or bad shipping methods-on the USPS part-if they came a long way? Im sorry I went through it too...lost all 38

4. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    oh Im so sorry. I dont know what to say to you. I am on day 24 my self and it doesnt look good for me either, but lets keep positive. Good vibes your way!!!!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Had you candled the eggs along the 18 days?

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    get some more and do it again. for my second go-round I got a hygrometer and candled . . . huge improvement!

7. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    I am new to the chicken family and haven't incubated any, myself.
    But I am so sorry for your loss! I'm sure you were waiting for the little ones, and counting the days.[​IMG]

8. sarahclrksn

sarahclrksn Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    i got the eggs from a local farm... they were brown can i still candle them? i read somewhere that i could use an led flashlight to candle them, but i wasnt sure if i could with brown eggs.. so i went on my lunch break and bought a new thermometer, humidy cheker all in one it has the sensor that i can leave in the incubator and the device staying on the outside i also bought some small metal cups to put water in so i am planning on trying again this sunday with a new batch...i have also moved the incubator upstairs where i constant monitor temp and humidity vs relying on my husbadn to check it....

9. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Were they sold as fertile eggs or eating eggs?

10. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    so sorry! hope next batcj does better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by