Lost all my chicks???!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakomisar, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jakomisar

jakomisar New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I have a 12x12 chain link chicken run, with 3 feet of hardware cloth up the sides to protect from predators. I have three hens living there.

Yesterday, I separated off a section in which to raise 4 6-week-old chicks. The cordoned off section is about 3x3 with 3 foot chicken wire.

Last night or this morning one of my three hens flew into the separate section and killed both my RI reds and both my Black Copper Marans. All four chicks are dead. I feel awful. I really didn't think the hens would be able to get over the three foot enclosure.

Do I just have one extra-aggressive hen? Is this completely normal?

I guess in the future, I'll have to put a roof (and maybe a floor too) on the separate section for the chicks.

Any thoughts? I feel like crap.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Sorry for your loss .. [​IMG]

I learned that hens can be WICKED .. don't give up.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

I sorry you lost your chicks. You will need to put a cover over the chicks next time. 3ft is just a hop for your hens. Mine can clear a 7 foot fence with the right motivation.

Try not to beat yourself up. We have all done things that have or could have resulted in harm to our flock. We learn from our mistakes and adjust as necessary. Your hen were just being hens.

[​IMG]

4. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    [​IMG]

Don't blame yourself. Good luck with your next little ones.

5. jakomisar

jakomisar New Egg

May 11, 2011
    Until what age do I need to keep them separate from the rest of the flock?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's completely normal. I just integrated my chicks and the same thing would of happened. I used a wire dog kennel inside the coop to integrate. The wire kennel is pretty secure. I supervised them together and kept them separated when not watching. It took 3 weeks to integrate. It's best to integrate when everyone is about the same size.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:About 3 months. I'm very sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Quote:Mine see each other but cannot make any physical contact until they are about 13 weeks. Even then, I keep a close eye on things. I play the rooster and keep the peace while allowing the pecking order process to occur. They don't spend the night together free to move about until they have rubbed elbows in the yard for at least 2 weeks. And those first nights together can still be explosive with some of the personalities.

Very sorry for your experience.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I usually wait until they are a similar size, and then watch closely to see if issues come up.
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Chickens are unpredictable sometimes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by