Lost all my peeps :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DeadSpider, Aug 29, 2013.

1. DeadSpider

DeadSpider Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Louisiana
    Last night I checked on my 11 peeps about 3 weeks old and 5 bigger chickens that are about 4 months old. The peeps were in a pen next to my tractor that holds the 5 older chickens so they can get used to each other.

All was good so I went to take a shower. My wife took my two lil girls to check on them before they went to bed, all was good. After I finished up I went back out to double check water & food and found all my peeps ripped to shreds... it was sad. 9 were still in the pen, 2 were gone.

I assume it was a raccoon but I've never seen any in my area. There were a few small holes ripped in the mesh and one that was large enough for a cat or so to get in.

There have been two tiny dogs running about from time to time but I figure they would have ate the majority of the peeps, not pull them apart mostly and leave so much to waste.

Coon, dog... cat?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. ChknObssd

ChknObssd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Harrah, OK
    OH no! Im so sorry that you lost your chicks!! [​IMG]

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Was the damaged mesh 1/2 " hardware cloth or something else?

Chris

4. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    So sorry for your loss. Do you have any pictures of the damage?? We use 1/2" hardware cloth on our coop and run. We've never had any losses(knocking on wood) while our chickens were in their pen. We lost a hen to a bobcat while they were free ranging. Didn't know we had bobcats in our area until then. We now use a game camera to see what is moving around our property. We have pictures of raccoons, bobcats, foxes, cats, and possums. It hard to really know what killed your chicks. I hope your little girls aren't to upset [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by