1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost all of my 5 week olds today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chew593, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

6 total... all my plymouth rocks and my favorite RIR dead at the teeth of the beloved family dog. (We don't know which one.) We think one of the kids might have opened the gate to the run. That or I didn't close it as well as I thought... they've been outside just about a week and I'm totally bowled over by the loss.
    We had just cleaned their pen and built them a permanent outside feeder earlier today.
    I've never owned chickens before this and I feel like a complete failure. I have 6 more in the brooder that I'm not feeling too positive about right now.

2. PQ4evr

PQ4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Bellville Ohio
    [​IMG] the tunnel is always dark before you see the light accidents happen. keep your hope up it will all work out

3. candysclucks

candysclucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Sammamish
    So sorry! What a heartbreaker! Things like this happen and we learn. Don't give up on your chicks. They can bring so much enjoyment.

Candy

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I am really so sorry. It's happened to the best of us. The first year I got chickens I had 12 chicks 4 were definite roos. My dog did the same and even though I knew the roos would be sold or made into eating birds when I heard my dogs killed my babies I cried. Last feb a pack of coons killed half my flock, I was devastated. It just happens...
    Go get some new chicks, just find a better way to keep the dogs away.

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Awww! [​IMG] I'm sooo sorry for your loss. That is definately a downer. As sad as it feels right now, pick yourself up and dust off. At least you have a brooder full of kiddos to help you get over this. I'm sure this won't happen again because once you've suffered a loss like this, you're extra vigilant.

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Been there, done that. I allowed one of my dogs to kill my first set of chickens as well. I know how awful it feels!

Don't give up on keeping birds. Just take some time to grieve, and try to learn from the experience.

Good luck in the future!

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    So sorry for you! Funny how they become a part of your family so quickly!

8. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Well I hate to say it but sometimes things happen like this and it really sucks when it does. Look at it as a lesson learned and I'm sure you will take better precautions with the bunch in the brooder. You might make sure there residence is dog proof considering most chicken killing dogs are likely to tear into the pen to get to them. If you use regular Chicken wire you may as well have used silly string. So if not already, dog proof your pen since you now know that one of your dogs is a killer. Keep trying and dont give up. You might put a lock on the coop to keep the kids out and you wont have to worry about it getting left open. Good luck.

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I am so sorry you are going through this. [​IMG] I had a neighbor's dog come and kill almost all of mine today, too. It is really devastating. [​IMG] I am glad that you have some in the brooder. It won't replace the ones you lost, but it will help some.

[​IMG]

Shelly

10. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I know how heartbreaking it is! My dogs have done it a number of times and just when I think I have the run "dog proofed", one finds their way in........I just have to be VERY cautious about where they are at all times.......it kinda becomes second nature after a while......Hang in there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by