Lost almost 3 birds in 4 days! Help me please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by halesbales, May 21, 2019.

1. halesbales

halesbales Hatching

May 21, 2019
    So a few days ago one of my silkies fell ill and died. We didn't know what was wrong but she had always been kind of sickly and she passed peacefully in her sleep. I thought it was an isolated case. Then yesterday we went out to check the coop and one of my wyanndotte pullets had died randomly. We weren't watching her for illness or anything, she didn't show any signs or symptoms. Now today another one of my wyanndotte pullets is ill. We found her in the coop shivering. She's standing up really tall and stretching her neck out. She doesn't appear to be gasping for air. She's also drinking lots of water. We have since separated her and moved her indoors. She's now showing no interest in standing but still has her neck stretched out. When we pick her up she goes almost limp in our hands like she's dead. She doesn't appear to have any respiratory issues. Any help you can give would be great. I'd really like to save her but I'm worried it might be something that could spread to the rest of the flock. Thanks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your losses.
    How old are they?
    Where are you located in the world (state/country)?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    What is your housing like?
    If you have photos of your pullet, the poop, housing, etc. that would be good. A video of her actions may also be helpful - upload to youtube and provide a link.

If you have vet care, that would be best.

No difficulty breathing? How does her crop feel?
    Have you looked inside her beak for any obstruction, canker, pus or lesions?
    Any chance that she may have ingested something moldy, toxic, rotten, nails/staples, etc. Feed is fresh?

Sorry for all the questions, but it could be 100s of things so getting more information sometimes gives us a clue.

3. halesbales

halesbales Hatching

May 21, 2019
    Location: Ok so I live in South Eastern Wisconsin. The weather here is a little crazy right now, as in windy and rainy and cold one minute and 80 degrees and sunny the next. I'm not worried about the cold because all my birds are feathered out. This is my first time having my own flock and it's been established since March and we haven't had any problems so far. The birds are primarily cared for by my boyfriend because they live on his farm. The closest vet is over an hour away and is also very expensive. Between school, work, and the farm I unfortunately do not have time to take her in.

Age: I have a few older birds (ages generally unknown), the silkie being one of them, that were purchased at a Chicken Swap. The two wyandottes as well as 5 black sex links that are between 10 and 12 weeks and are fully feathered and have been part of the flock since around 8 weeks. These pullets came from Farm and Fleet and should be vaccinated against marek's disease.

Feed: I feed a 16% protein poultry layer crumble from sprout. Last week I just started supplementing with poultry conditioner from calf manna as I'm trying to get some of these birds ready for fair. I've also been putting electrolytes in the water because of the sickness.

Housing: My birds were just moved outside last week. I wanted to make sure the frost was out of the ground before moving them out. While they were in the shop they lived in a chicken tractor that was cleaned every other week or so. Now that they've been moved outside they live in a small coop with a large run. I don't have any pictures of this.

As for the bird. She was still alive this morning. While I'm worried that the silkie and the two wyandottes are connected I think that these each might be independent cases. My boyfriend thinks that the still living one might have wry neck as a result of an unseen injury. He's a dairy farmer and says calves usually act this way when they have a spinal injury. She's not showing any sign of difficult breathing, no gasping or wet breathing sounds. Her crop was half full but she also hasn't been eating much. It wasn't hard or anything. My boyfriend hasn't looked in her mouth as he was worried about injuring her farther. I won't be able to get over there until Friday to check her out myself. We haven't fed them anything besides their feed yet and we go through feed so fast that I don't think it could have gone bad so quickly. There's not a huge chance of ingesting nails or anything because I don't free range my birds.

I hope this helped. If you have any more questions I'll try my best to answer them. I'm going to try and post pictures and videos as well. Thank you for trying to help me.

4. halesbales

halesbales Hatching

May 21, 2019

Attached Files:

5. halesbales

halesbales Hatching

May 21, 2019
    I'm sorry for the quality. I also forgot to say... she pooped twice last night, looked normal, no signs of blood.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

They are young, so they need to be on Chick Starter or an All Flock/Flock Raiser feed instead of layer crumbles. The layer feed is too low in protein and has too much calcium for them.
    Switch feeds asap.

If you think it's Wry Neck - that is a neurological symptom - it can be due to vitamin deficiency, injury or disease like Marek's. Even birds that are vaccinated can become ill with the virus. The vaccine is not perfect and will generally only stop the formation of tumors, it does not prevent infection from the virus.

Give her 400IU of Vitamin E daily along with some egg.
    Get a good look at the poop - you've had them since March. This is still March, so you've had them for just a few weeks? I would also consider treating them for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid at Tractor Supply in the cattle section.

gtaus and Feathered_Texans like this.
  7. Feathered_Texans

Feathered_Texans Songster

Sep 24, 2018
    Central Texas
    I agree with everything you said, but this month is actually May. March was 2 months ago. I understand it could of been a typo, but just making sure.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :oops: LOL Well, I think I need more coffee!
    Thanks for pointing that out:)

Feathered_Texans and Sequel like this.
  9. halesbales

halesbales Hatching

May 21, 2019
    Thank you so much! I'll run to the store after school today and pick up some corid. I'll also make sure to start supplementing Vitamin E.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Don't forget the Chick Starter or Flock Raiser! They really should not be eating layer feed until they are actively laying eggs, the calcium can be damaging to their system at a young age.

Justso likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: