Lost alot .... ugh ...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie_in_PA, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Well, I got my first peeps.
    They were a day late (making them 3 days old when I received them). They were very dehydrated when I got them because of being late.

I lost 22

I'm aggrevated. I hope that I'm reimburssed for the total I lost.
    I called the farm the morning I got them after losing 8 ... and they said they'd reimburse me for the 8. But then that evening I lost 14 more ! 22 within 24 hours of receiving them.
    I did my part - I picked them up from the post office RIGHT AWAY, and gave them water with electrolytes in RIGHT AWAY. I put them in the warm brooder RIGHT AWAY. but still lost 22.
    I called and left a message for the farm - but they were already closed, so it was just a message - I didn't get to talk to anyone. But I did tell them that I lost 14 more - making a total of 22. I hope they reimburse me.

This was through Moyer's Chicks in Quakertown PA. And I'm in PA to ! They shouldn't have taken that long to get to me !
    I doubt it's the farm's actual fault - I would think it's the Post Office's fault. But regardless, I think I should still be reimburssed in some way - money or replacement.
    The peeps were hatched on June 17th. I didn't receive them until June 20th.

Anyway, just had to vent a little. Thanks to those of you who gave me advice in chat trying to help me save them ! If it weren't for you's - perhaps I would've lost more !
    Good thing I ordered 78 ! Otherwise I wouldn't have a flock left !

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not a great fan of shipping chicks for the reasons you know too well, and I'm very sorry for your losses. I was lucky to find a local source of day-olds at a co-op where a lady goes to the hatchery to get our orders, and mine were only 12 hours old when I picked them up. A few were so content they didn't show interest in water and I began to drip it from my fingertips and they responded because it was interesting rather than because they were thirsty. It's getting late in the season and very hot for shipping. I'm wondering if you're be happier with a refund and some local pullets from a local breeder. We can get them here, a little more expensive because they've already been fed a lot. I hope you have some electrolytes for the water of the survivors. Again, I'm very sorry.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am sorry for your losses.. [​IMG]

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm sorry! I had bad luck with my first batch, and I know it wasn't the farms fault... but the actual shipment. It took them 2 days to get here, and I lost about 5 of my 6 yokohamas... that is a very fragile breed as chicks. But, the hatchery reimbursed me for my loss which was very generous of them. I ordered again and recieved my shipment in just one day, and only lost one due to the fact that he had been trampled by the other chicks, so overall, I am very happy with my chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by