Lost an old loyal friend today.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenzoo, Jul 22, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It all started with a wiggly high strung 3 month old dalmation puppy that friends of relatives didn't want anymore 12 years ago. It was July, around my husbands birthday and he begged me to take a look. I've always been a shepherd person myself, but them saying they were taking her to the pound knocked down my defences. Our first meeting was when they let her out of a very small room, in a very small house and she came out of there like a wild bull out of a shoot! I rolled eyes and sighed - This is going to take a lot of training-as my husband was grinning from ear to ear. Well Dal's are stubborn, but so am I, and she was very smart- too smart for her own good. If you told her NO, she would simply find another way of doing it. Needless to say their was a lot of head butting, but I came out Alpa or at least she let me think I was. She was a dog who was bred to be around horses, and she loved my Qurab very much and all the horses I aquired after. They would run and play,let each other out of the pasture or stall, sleep together etc. She was always watching the horses and was a great guard dog. I never felt scared when I knew she was outside, she always protected me and would never let a stranger close, killed any snake near me, ran off any other threat. She knew it was her job and she did it. I spent a lot of time alone with my husband in the military but she always kept me safe. No one would risk walking into our yard, not even people who knew her, she always took her post against the front door. But she was friendly, loving dog who loved my husband and myself and our family and the horses. The past few years she had gotten slower, her hips started bothering her and the meds just were't helping, still she tried to keep up with the others. She lost her hearing and her eye sight was bearly there, still she hung on, until today. The past few days we began to know the time was getting close. I was going to make arrangements with my Vet to come out and end her suffering. Last night she stopped eating and did not want to drink so we made her a bed by the front door, at her post so we check on her. By morning she had made her way to the dog house by her 2 buds, my white shepherds and layed in the grass. My husband and I went out to pet her, she drank a little and our other dogs licked her. a few hours later she was at peace. I'll miss my old friend and the way she use to follow behind me all over the yard like a constant guarding shadow. I don't know if I will ever feel as safe again.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What a heart breaking post. Im sure you'll miss her very very much.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG] You obviously loved her and that and food is all they ask from us.
    We were told last sept to prepare for a loss with one of ours. I feel exhausted from the stress of expecting this to happen. He is still going strong. His tail wags so hard it shakes the house and he does not have a clue that anything is wrong. I am so scared to lose him, but all we can do is treat them the best with love and food and more food....and we smile knowing we gave them a good life [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wendy

4. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know there are no words to ease the pain. We lost our lab/ridgeback pound puppy on May 3rd of this year. I picked her up at the Humane Society back in '94 and surprised my husband when he came home from work. Like your pup, I let her our of a back bedroom and she came bounding down the hall and surpised the heck out of my husband. She was a great dog; kind and gentle. And, when we had our son, she, at nine years of age and having never been exposed to an infant before, promptly took the job of being Sam's personal guardian.

It just seems so unfair that such noble creatures have such short lifespans. Even now, as I look at my 2 year old English Setter, I know the incredible pain I will someday endure. But, I know the love, loyalty, comfort and joy we receive far outweighs the pain. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your family.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What a beautiful eulogy and tribute to your friend.

I know she's running pain-free and young again somewhere.

So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww I am so sorry. It hurts real bad to loose a faithful friend and guardian! [​IMG] She is at peace now and is not hurting anymore. I read this and thought it was very touching. I hope you do too.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    How sad you must feel. I am sure she knows how much she was loved and missed. [​IMG] Just know she is now free from pain. [​IMG]

8. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I'm crying right now. There are no words that will ease the pain. Your memories of her will always be with you. Thank you for sharing some stories out of her life. She sounded like a wonderful dog!! I'm hugging my pup thats next to me on the couch right now in her memory. You'll be in my thoughts. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It always leaves a hole in your heart when you lose a member of the family.

Prayers going heavenward in your behalf.

10. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Harley's girl :

:aww I am so sorry. It hurts real bad to loose a faithful friend and guardian! [​IMG] She is at peace now and is not hurting anymore. I read this and thought it was very touching. I hope you do too.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

I just lost my 18 year old boxerX, my Chihuahua, and my manx cat within the time of two months and that is so sweet, thank you. BTW you have me in tears​

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by