Lost and Found! Lifestory for a Hen.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Illia, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This is what happens when you live in the rainy rainy northwest with Polish Crested chickens:

[​IMG]

This is Rix, the sweetest and most calm of all our Polish - But she now has a hair-do like the rest of our White-Crested blacks, because she, like her sister Shells, once got lost during a storm, and had to venture out survival on their own for a long time. For her, luckily, it was only 3 days in a clearcut, where a couple seeds and grass sprouts could be found, but hardly any water, despite the pounding rain for days. Shells, on the other hand, went through over two weeks of being lost in a forest. Quite some story of searching through acres and acres of land, giving up, then having a friendly neighbor one day calling up about an odd "black and white chicken with a fluffy head." It took Shells about four days to return to a normal state (gain weight, revive back to an active behavior) but I am just sooo glad I found the two! Especially after that long. . . And now, they have hair alterations to help against possible future mishaps.

In normality out here, a Polish crested will have its crest droop and catch mud when it rains, but for the white-crested blacks, it is worse than just drooping, and takes away any possibility of seeing clear. [​IMG]

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    That's quite some story to tell, the closest my chickens have come to that is the back fence [​IMG]
    Say hi to Rix and Shells for me, and nice hairdo!!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Oh, my! Maybe you could get her one of those hairbobs with a little 'bling' on it. She'd be the envy of all her flockmates (until someone ate it [​IMG])

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Love the hairdo! [​IMG] That's just crazy that that happened, especially twice. I'm glad you found them both after their excursions.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, it didn't really happen twice, just - with two birds at once. In about a week, I'm just going to keep them all in a very very big enclosure. My brahmans absolutely hate being cooped up in any way, (they will go back and forth and back and forth, making long baaaawk sounds.[​IMG] ) so, I'll make them a "lost-proof" outdoor area.

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

rofl thats my hubby's name...Rixx!!!

But have to say your bird has a LOT more feathers on top than my main rooster here <laugh>

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This is her before we had bad weather:
    [​IMG]

Yesterday the place was an absolute mess - we received over 7 inches of rain in one day, and the gusts went above 60mph - At a time like this is when I coop everyone up to safety, but the brahmas insisted on staying out and getting wet. I'll show some pics - I've never seen a bird as soaked as them! [​IMG]

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

LOL, yeah, I have to cut mine and give them neat hair cuts, he he. They look like they have mohawks......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by