Lost "Angry Bird"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bagawk, Oct 2, 2012.

1. bagawk

bagawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    17 years old is a good age for a chicken. I suppose I shouldn't be so sad. She was sitting in the front yard today sunning when I left, enjoying herself. When I fed the horses I threw food out for the three free range chickens in my yard. She didn't come. I found her in the horse stall. She looked like she was simply brooding. She fell asleep and died. No blood, no damage. No lingering illness. Her little chickenbird clock just ticked out.

Poor Angry Bird. I sure loved that goofy chicken. :(

I buried her in her spot by the cross ties where she'd stand and talk to me while I groomed horses and carried on about my regular horsey duties. She was a talker.

My yard is quieter now. My Buff Orpington Roo and the other RIR stood silently next to me and watched me put her in the ground and push dirt over her. I sat on the ground and cried over her spot and they stood to my left and right with me and said goobye.

:(

2. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she had a lovely life their on the farm, and a long one too. I'm sure your miss her.

3. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    17 years is a long time. I am so sorry for your loss.

4. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    Soooooo sorry for your loss! What a dear friend your chicken was - therre is nothing more endearing to me than one that likes to "chat"

Again please accept my condolences.

5. NancyB22000

NancyB22000 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    I'm sorry about "Angry Bird". I'm new to the world of chickens - we've just had our for a month or so, but already I'm starting to fall for our girls . . . I can only imagine how hard it is to lose one after 17 years. I know it's small comfort, but she died peacefully and happily in a place she knew - what a beautiful end to a nice long life.

Please accept my condolences . . .

NancyB

6. Casey09

Casey09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    thats so sad :-( at least she went peacfully in her sleep. i think thats how everyone wants to go!

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh Wow. What a privilege to have had that bird for 17 years and then to watch her pass quietly. My eyes are misty on this one! Beautifully written words about her and her passing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by