1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost another one, opinons please, will add pics tonight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by savilcr, May 31, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    Well I went out of town Friday and came back last night to find one of my 14 week old RIR’s dead on the floor. Something had gotten into the coop and taken half of the feathers off her back and left it there. It is an A frame coop sealed with chicken wire so Im 99% it cant be a coyote but possibly a fox. Im going to put a trail camera out tonight with some raw chicken and see what all comes to it. does anyone know what would attack one of these and just remove feathers from its back and leave it?

2. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    What first comes to mind is a rat but, really, it could be almost anything. Chicken wire will not keep anything out, it only serves to keep your chickens in one place.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    A raccoon will reach thru chicken wire and kill. All wire should be 1/2 inch hardware cloth to prevent most predators. It will continue. Sorry for your loss.

4. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    it was laying in the middle of the coop where nothing could reach it and there were a good amount of feathers missing. Ill have a trap out tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by