Lost another Serama Baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marie_martin, May 14, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have been keeping the babies in the outside coop with mama silkie at night and letting them out during the day. I have a heat lamp in there but these babies are 3 weeks tomorrow so I just don't know what could have happened. I guess sometimes things just happen. Are they more frail? I only have 4 now, so I hope they are not all roos. I hate this part of raising any animal. Breaks my heart.

Marie

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Aww - so sad... Sorry to hear about your chick.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sure some of the serama experts will be able to give you an idea on how fragile or robust they are as chicks. I have never had any, but would like to get some soon. So sorry to hear you lost a little one [​IMG] Are there other chickens that could have picked on it? I have heard said on the forum that while silkies are GREAT broodies, they can be lax in protecting the chicks after they hatch. Maybe she neglected it that night and it got cold? I dunno... but I hope the rest turn out to be mostly or all pullets for ya! [​IMG]

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    So sorry marie-I'm crossing my fingers the rest aren't all roos!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have two Serama eggs in the bator now and I have been doing a lot of research on them... and one thing I found out is they don't do well in colder weather at all (below 40) since the come from Malaysia where the temps are so different. I am making a pen inside for my pair in the winter. They are so tiny they can live in a bird cage pretty much. And will let them free range in the summer. Good luck with yours! Hope they do ok.

6. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I guess I will just have to get more eggs huh? But it is tough to lose them. I think it is because she has too many. I gave her just the 5 seramas in the beginning and then when the weather got warm, I put the ones from the brooder out into the outside brooder with her. I had no idea she would try to take care of them all. They were a few days older and at first would have nothing to do with her. They just stayed away from her and the other babies. But after a couple days she had taken them all to raise, and I am betting that this is my fault. I should never have given her that many. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for the kind words.

Marie

7. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hi marie,
    i hatched out some seramas in jan and some more in march (i think the total was about 30) and i lost one chick out of all of them. they are sensitive to the cold. i too had a silkie "mama" looking after them but i kept everyone inside until they were completely feathered out. maybe for your next hatch keep your brooder inside (with or without a "mama" hen to look over them).
    i'm sorry for your loss and i hope your next hatches go much better for you!

ps - even though everyone was inside and had a silkie mama, i still had a light in the brooder too.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Marie - sorry to hear about your loss. You are not far from me and I know how warm it's been - hot during day and warm and muggy at night - I'm not using a heat lamp on any of my babies in the coop right now - so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the cold that killed it so you can stop beating yourself up over that.

How many are in with the mama? Do they get fresh air or is it a closed brooder? Is it possible they are getting too warm by all huddling under mama or that mama pecked it or maybe it wasn't getting enough to eat if there is a mama and many babies in brooder. All just guesses but I'm positive it's not your fault - please stop blaming yourself. I too have read that silkies don't make good mamas and at three weeks old they don't need the mama any more anyway so maybe move her out???

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, my silkies have been great moms so far. So I don't think it is that. The brooder is closed but has plenty of ventilation and the heat lamp is on one side and they have plenty of room to get away from it and usually don't sleep under it. We have had a couple of really cool nights too. I have been letting mama and babies out into the run while the other chickens are free ranging. I have to go in and make sure all the babies go back to the brooder and there is usually a couple I have to put in there. Mom can't count and leaves them out there. So I went out last night and it was just this one that was still out and it had started to cool off a bit and it is damp from the rain we have had. It felt a bit chilled but I figured if I put it under mom, it would be fine. So I put it in the brooder. But maybe mom did not let it under her or for some reason it was just already sick and that is why it did not make it. I don't know. I will never again give a broody that many babies. 13 is too many for a silkie for sure. But she took them on her own. Anyway, lesson learned.

Thanks for your suggestions though and your support.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by