Lost Baby Chick - No feathers on neck or upper body

WildcatsLady

Hatching
9 Years
May 21, 2010
My family and I are rather new with raising chickens. We have a nice sized coop in the backyard attached to a nice huge homemade doghouse (use to be) that my husband built shelves in with dividers and packed with fresh hay and all for the hens. We have one rooster, three hens, and currently three chicks. We had five chicks but lost two of them to some strange malady. One's neck was twisted all around and she couldn't stand or eat even though we fed her with a syringe. I looked it up and read where this sometimes happens and they can grow out of it. Well, she didn't.

We just lost our other little one last night. Not sure if it was a he or she, but it was all black and white when we first got it and was so cute you could hold it one hand. As it was starting to grow, it started losing feathers around the neck and at the top of its wings. Kind of reminded me of an ostrich. However, NO other chick or hen have lost their feathers. Anyway, it didn't seem to be in pain, didn't appear to have any mites, and was eating and running and pooping just fine. When we got home yesterday from work, it was just laying on ground of the coop dead. I have to note that it did look like it was sprouting a few new feathers here and there, but it was just a real young thing still. I am a bit mystified as to what could have caused it and would welcome any thoughts. Thanks.

Did you ever find out what happened? I have two black and white chicks and they are both losing their feathers on the tops of the wings. The other chicks seem to like them, they lay in clusters with them and sometimes I will see them having their wings over these two. Any information would be great!

Back
Top Bottom