Lost baby chick. :( *UPDATE - Chick FOUND!*

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
My broody hen is raising 4 chicks and one of them is gone. I left home at about 10am this morning and my husband got home at around 9pm tonight. I am out of town for the night. Broody mama was in the coop sitting on 3 chicks. One is missing and my husband can't find it.
sad.png
Lows tonight are 70 degrees. The chick is around one week old. If it is out in the yard somewhere and doesn't get eaten by a predator, what are the chances it might survive the night? I'm so upset.

Last edited:
They are pretty strong, and will surprise you. Let mama out early, and go thru the yard making mama chicken noises, if he's still alive, he will come running. Good luck!!

After a couple decades of this, I've come to accept that it's normal to lose a percentage that varies with the seasons and conditions.

Aww, so hard not being able to do anything about it.
sad.png
I experienced a similar situation and was able to find the chick the next day, so good luck to you and keep us posted.
fl.gif

When I got home, mama and FOUR baby chicks ran to the driveway! I am so thankful that the chick survived the night, especially because it is my daughter's favorite!! Praise God!!

I am so thankful my husband walked our dogs last night instead of letting them go out in the yard. My beagle is a terrible chicken killer and we have to supervise her at all times, but usually after dark, we let her roam the yard freely.

I'm so happy!!

Back
Top Bottom