Lost baby chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pheonixcat, May 5, 2017.

1. pheonixcat

pheonixcat New Egg

May 5, 2017
    Okay so we let our baby chickens out during the day and put them up when it close to dark but one of our baby chickens is now missing... Theres aroung 5 of them.our dog gets really exited when near them so we used him to find them but we cant find the last one where should i look?? (ps. The theres a pasture, a place we keep our tools,and a chicken koop a lil too far and some cars they like to stay around at)

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    A hawk will dive down and grab one in about 2 blinks of the eye----I have seen it happen personally----more than once. Or a snake, etc. Hope you can find it.

3. Kwimmer78

Kwimmer78 Just Hatched

May 5, 2017
    New Hampshire
    A chick at that age will most likely not be able to find it's way back, so if somehow it's still alive, it will have a very difficult time finding it's way back

4. pheonixcat

pheonixcat New Egg

May 5, 2017
    Theres not many hawks near but buzzards and possibly coyotes

5. pheonixcat

pheonixcat New Egg

May 5, 2017
    Ive got some food layed out in random spots. I guess all i can do for now is wait for tomorrow and hope.

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well it only takes one hawk to wipe out a whole population of chicks it they are where he can get to them. Buzzards----probably not----coyotes would probably want more that one and do not like to come out during the day, but could. Neighbors cat might grab one.

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If the chick was by its self it should have been chirping kinda loudly just before dark.

8. pheonixcat

pheonixcat New Egg

May 5, 2017
    True. Well ill update this in the morning, gotta be the first time loosing a baby chicken.

9. pheonixcat

pheonixcat New Egg

May 5, 2017
    Good news! It found its way back! i found It near the coop i think it was trying to get back it

1 person likes this.
  10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are in Az. like I think you are, there are also roadrunners around that would grab a small chick, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by