Lost Broody.....27days! Weirdest places your chooks have nested?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hannah11, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Hi everyone,
    I have 2 broodys at the moment, one a perfect girl who actually got into the chick/broody cage to lay her eggs she's probably 3days off the hatch but then I have another that I cannot find! she showed up for food for 10min every 3-4 days until about 5-6 days ago now I'm sure she must have hatched those little ones but i can't find a sign of them and I'm worried that the heat is getting to much if she doesn't have access to water...
    [​IMG]
    my question is what sorts of places do hens tend to hide and nest? and just out of interest the weirdest places you have found hens?

Cheers

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    We had a Barred Rock come up missing. She found a way to go below the breeding coop and lay at least 12 eggs as she had 12 chicks running around in the 100+ temps. She had about 4-6 inches of head space all the way back to where she brooded the chicks.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Broody hens like dark, dry secluded areas to nest. So look under stuff and in bushes.

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Also why not when she comes out next follow her back to her hiding spot?

5. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    hehe man chickens can pick the spots! I just found her In the long grass in the backyard..... but only with 6 chicks, VERY cute they have mixed colours although one of the peeped egg chicks was still alive maggots got it :( 14 eggs total 6 super cute chiccys :)

6. taylynnp

taylynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Glad you found her and the chicks. Sorry you lost some though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by