Lost cat came home...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SunAngel, Sep 12, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    We have a 5 yr old cat that my other inside cats did nothing but pick on. Being that she was skittish, we figured we could set up a home of sorts for her on our front porch and she wouldn't leave. She's had all her shots, so figured it would be ok for her to stay out there and not get picked on inside. She's been out there for over a year, never going farther than a short trip around the yard.

A month ago or so ago she disappeared for a week. We actually found her living in a pipe that runs under the road in front of our neighbors house...maybe 100 yrds up the road. We brought her back home and she happily resumed living on our porch. She was here for a couple weeks, then about 3 weeks ago, she totally disappeared. We think one of our male cats got out and chased her out into the woods and she got lost. Its either that or she was trapped in someones shed. I spent countless hours calling for her over the last couple weeks.

Anyhow, I looked outside today, just in time to see her walk up the street in front of our house. I ran out and scooped her up and brought her in. She is super skinny. She only weighs about 4 lbs now. She was never a heavy cat, but her backbones and ribs are sticking out! Dry cat food seems like its just not enough to help her.

Her fur looks ok, only a few briars in it, no injuries that I can see. She is purring up a storm, but is soooo thin, its freaky. I dunno how she has strength to walk. I feel so bad for her!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to feed a very underweight cat to put weight back on at a healthy rate?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Glad you got her back. You can feed her kitten food but remember you also don't want to over feed her/fatten her up all at once, it will make her sick

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks, thats what I'm a bit worried about. I don't want to make her sick/er.

Are there any people foods that would be good...like chicken, eggs, tuna, liver? I don't have kitten food here right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Any that you mentioned would be just fine. Offer her small amounts often. [​IMG]

5. babiestwo

babiestwo New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Baldwin, ND
    I'm glad you got your kitty back! You could feed her scrambled eggs and cottage cheese if she will eat it. They both have a lot of protein in them. Also if you can get some wet food and put that in with her dry stuff that will fatten her up pretty quickly.

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks for the help!

I will try some of those in little portions and see how she does. At least til I can get her some can food.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just wanted to mention that we have one cat that was getting beat on by the others too. We bought a screen door for $20 at home depot and we gave the cat his own end of the house. If we are around we open the door up and we watch them, but when we are not home he has a safe place in the house. Just a suggestion [​IMG] Glad you found your cat.

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thats a good idea, I might have to think if theres a room we could section off for her. Where she could still see us. The other cats just chase and attack her til she ends up spending all the time in one tiny corner somewhere. I don't want her getting lost outside like that again though.

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I would worm her. You can get wormer now from Walmart and if she is not putting on weight she may have worms. It doesn't hurt to worm outside cats regularly anyway......I worm all my animals every 6 months or so. I am a cert. vet tech and used to teach zoonosis before I taught chem, so I am over cautious with parasites and my family....

10. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    When I read your title I thought it was about this story.
    Did anyone see this story today:

LONDON (Reuters) - A couple have been reunited with their missing cat after nine years, the RSPCA said on Wednesday.
    Dixie, a 15-year-old ginger cat, disappeared in 1999 and her owners thought she had been killed by a car.

She was found less than half a mile from her home in Birmingham after a concerned resident rang the animal charity to report a thin and dishevelled cat who had been in the area for a couple of months.

RSPCA Animal Collection Officer Alan Pittaway checked her microchip and confirmed it was Dixie. She was returned to her owners, Alan and Gilly Delaney, within half an hour.

"In 29 years of working for the RSPCA I have never seen anyone so excited and happy as Mrs Delaney," Pittaway said. "It made my day to return Dixie to her owners."

The couple were "overjoyed" to be reunited with their missing cat after so many years.

"Dixie's personality, behaviour and little mannerisms have not changed at all," said Gilly Delaney. "We don't think she has stopped purring since she came back through the door."

The RSPCA hope the story will encourage owners to have their pets microchipped.

(Reporting by Anna Legge; Editing by Steve Addison)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by