Lost cats wander home, what about lost chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ginormous chicken, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I was really excited b/c I got a new Mille Fleur today. I got her really early so I shoved her into the coop so she could get to know everyone. It wasn't even light. She was scared today because the flock ostracized her. She was alone a lot today. Well... she never made it back into the coop. I looked everywhere. She is probably roosting right? How worried should I be? I am a little bit panic. I don't live back east so there is no snow. But it will be 45 and foggy. Do you think she will be OK? I even named her, "Fleur".
    Any ideas? Worried and frustrated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. Chickens? WOW

Chickens? WOW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Western Montana
    I just hope for your sake that she comes back. I know how hard it is to loose a chicken, I lost all mine in a fire. Sorry I don't have any ideas but our cat ran away and was on his own for three days. He was the stupidest of all three too, just hope it is the same with chickens.

3. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a flash light and look around she probably is not to far? I normally like to confine new birds to a smaller area inside the coop for a few days when intergrading them. Good luck and may the predators stay away…………

4. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    She came back![​IMG]

But I guess she never left, she was just roosting. I walked out into the fog this morning and there she was waiting by the food bin. She is a bit wet. I locked her in the hen house run. She seems gratful for food and water. She is really wet; I will take her into the house and dry her off later. Thanks for your help. Next time I get a new chicken I will either lock them in the hen house or make sure they make it back before dark.

5. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Gotta love a happy ending.[​IMG]

6. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    New Questions, same topic. Does anyone have a chicken who refuses to integrate into the establish flocked? This Mille Fleur ran off again and went to hide. I found her AGAIN![​IMG] And locked her in AGAIN! Is there a possibility she will never integrate and will just march off and do her own thing as a single gal and come back to roost and eat? Won't she be more likely to get picked off without the protection of the flock?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It takes time for a new bird to be accepted into a flock. When I got new hens they would stay in a tree for three days and only come down to eat and drink when the other birds were not around. After that the new ones were still pecked at (no blood) for a couple of weeks to a month before they were accepted. She would be safer in a flock because most predators look for that one prey animal to stray from the group. If she is eating in your yard she is likely to learn that it is a good place to always have food and shelter when she needs it and should slowly become a member of your flock [​IMG]

8. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    yep takes a good long while for new birds to find their bottom place in the pecking order. i've introduced new birds twice. first time took about a month and the second time a couple of weeks. are you sure she's not carrying any sort of diseases or illnesses that could contaminate/kill the rest of your flock?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Give it 2-4 weeks.

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Can you put her in a dog crate or some type of enclosure where she and the other chickens can all see each other, but keep her from getting picked on? That's how I usually integrate new chickens into the flock. Gives them time to get used to each other while still protecting the 'new girl'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by