Lost Chick 911!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KennyP, Jan 10, 2010.

1. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Could someone shed light on this Lost Chick. This is our first hatch. My best guess is that these chicks are due today. We've been waiting all day for the first chick to hatch. We just went out one more time to see if any were pipping and we found an egg shell under Momma Hen but we cant find NO CHICK!!!!!!! Does anyone know what's going on here?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are you sure she's missing? Did you check the whole coop? I'm hoping a rat didn't take her.

3. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Yes, checked the whole coop! I have a pic of the egg. It does'nt look like the eggs I've seen on videos. I dont know how to post a pic here. Any suggestions? Would the Mom Hen have done something with it if it wasn't viable?

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    sift through shavings, maybe you will find it. I have had hens "palm" chicks in their wings. I had a tiny silkie chick slip into another pen, I found her under a giant cochin. big momma decided it was hers. good luck

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Was there something wrong with the egg to begin with?

6. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I lost a chick in my coop as well. I can only figure the other chickens ate it - I hope that is not the case with yours.

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If your hen is in with other birds then they may have eaten it. Happens alot. The hen is still setting and will not come off to protect little ones.

Matt

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Someone posted on here about having picked up a hen to look at the chick and having it MISSING, only to discover that the hen had the chick tight against her body under her wing all the time!

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Maybe you should check now when it should be quiet. You might hear it peeping.

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Unless you literally lift up mama hen and feel all through her body, don't assume the chick is lost. They do disappear into mama's feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by