Lost chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal195655, Feb 2, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    Well, I received 10 chicks from McM on Monday....all looked healthy! I lost one the next day, not sure what happened there, then I also had one who's eyes were not opening....I tried putting Mineral oil on them and hoped that they were just pasted shut. She never did figure out where the food and water was, so I went out several times a day to dip her beak in the water and she would always drink but never went back for more on her own....I named her Stevie "Wonder" but alas, when I went out to check on her this morning she had passed. I guess it was a good thing...didn't look like she was going to be able to see ever, and most likely would not have survived anyway....just glad that she didn't have to suffer long! Poor Baby! On a brighter side, all the rest of the chicks are doing wonderful.

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    It's normal to lose one or two from each batch, but good to hear that the others are doing great. If you want to, you can call McM and tell them that you lost two in the first two days. They might refund some of the cost. It'll only be a couple dollars though.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

When chicks are shipped it is very stressful. So it doesn't surprise me that you lost a couple in your shipment. Sometimes even under the best situations chicks die. Last year I purchased chicks mail order with excellent results but I had a friend recently lost four! Sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by