Lost Chicken in our House

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverJeep, Feb 29, 2008.

1. SilverJeep

SilverJeep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Northeast, TN
    I know - strange huh? All I can figure is that one of our kids left a door ajar at some point today but I've been finding droppings everywhere! I can't however find the chicken. We know for sure that there is one hen missing from the hen house tonight so it's still in here somewhere. I feel like I have searched and searched, so I'm coming to you. where exactly would you find a chciken roosting in a house???
    Please help - either my wife is going to get the fright of her life when she's up feeding the baby at 5:00 AM or if it doesn't come out, we're going to get a mighty fine stench in a few days!
    Thanks,
    Brian Moore

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    look in all corners
    behind sofa and other furniture
    closets

follow the droppings?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Have you left a trail of feed or corn out so maybe the chicken will find you instead?

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    maby she will try to lay an egg and go sualk squalk squalk, maby a dog or cat can find it ?

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    did you check the fridge? [​IMG]

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] Very Funny!!!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] Sorry, but you gave me the best laugh of the day! That's one quiet chicken. I doubt any of mine could hide for long-they'd be on the counters looking for food or watching television.

8. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

hens often seem to go under things --- check the bedsprings, behind the toilet, the waterheater closet

alternatively they fly up, check the shelves in closets, the coat/hat rack if you have one, the top pantry shelf or above the kitchen cabinets

here's hoping !

yeah, and scatter some cracked corn, "here chickie! "

9. SilverJeep

SilverJeep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Northeast, TN
    I think some of you think I 'm joking..[​IMG] Seriously I'm not.
    Follow the droppings won't work because they were everywhere when I got home!! :eek:
    I've cheked high and low too, but maybe I'll lay out some food and then vaccum it up before my wife finds it:cool:
    I really never thought I'd loose a chicken in the house. Keep the ideas coming guys. I'll let you know if I find her.... and yes she'll probably be found in the fridge next!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Do you have a scratch can you shake to call them? If so, that's what I'd do. Mine can't resist. They'll tackle me for scatch and come from the four corners of the earth to that sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by