Lost Chicken Maybe?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pinky, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    When I was leaving my house to go to work this morning, my sister pointed over to the neighbors yard and said "Your chicken! Their(our neighbor's) dog's going to get it!" I looked over there and seen what looked like a dirty buff orp. First I panicked, but then I realized the bird is not any of mine. Luckily the dog didn't eat it, it just went and laid on it's porch. It looked like a grey buff orp. hen. [​IMG]

I know it wasn't my hen because it didn't come to me and it was trying to get in the neighbor's fenced in back yard. I think it was lost. There are dogs around that will kill a chicken if it's not fenced in so I hope it finds its home or owner before they find it. I have a rooster that flies over my fence and into my front yard so maybe he will try to call her over.
    I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this. If it's in my yard tomorrow should I see if it's friendly and try to get it in a cage(not with my chickens) until someone reports a lost chicken?
    If I could catch it I could ask around and see if anyone has lost her.
    One other thing too. My guineas were constantly calling and the wild guineas were behind our house calling too. Some people behind us had some chickens, but I never saw then, just heard them.Do you think the guineas chased the hen away? They(wild guineas) have a nest in some bushes behind us. The hen was pacing the fence facing behind us too [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    UPDATE: Our neighbor came over and gave my dad an egg the hen laid. He said it's not his chicken and he wants my dad to try and catch it. If he can catch it and no one comes by to claim it, I may have a new hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by