Lost chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wenitolduso, Dec 27, 2008.

1. wenitolduso

wenitolduso Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Well we did all we could for our chick-chick. She got worse and had to put her down. Still have one chick that has loose stool but just can't figure out who. All are eating good and drinking. I am lost. Still no eggs at 28 weeks old. Might just have stierle chickens [​IMG].

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Sorry about chick-chick. We had to put one of our pullets down too.
    Don't give up on those ingrates. They're just holding out on you. My Speckled Sussex didn't start laying until 30 weeks, and that was in warmer weather.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First.... [​IMG]

Sorry to hear about your girl [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Always hard to cull even when you know they are sick and should be.

Dont give up on the late layer yet, all chickens take a different amount of time to lay.

Was the pullet that you put down in with the other ??

4. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    [​IMG] So sorry about your baby!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Don't give up on getting eggs! Our RIR laid her first egg today, at 30.5 weeks old. The BR hasn't started yet, and the BSL started a month ago. Have faith!

ETA: I noticed that you didn't say what breeds the girls are. Some breeds just take longer than others. The production breeds, like sex-links (great birds, BTW) start earlier than ornamental and game breeds.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    sorry for your loss.

7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    We just put one down due to prolapsed vent. A week of cleaning and stuffing parts back in on a 6 month old bird thinking that she might always have this problem was more than we wanted to deal with. 7yo son took it hard till he got to tell his friends the gory details while they were eating chicken soup at out house...that part was fun. Boys.
    Good luck with the rest of your flock and finding the root of the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by