LOST CHICKEN

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ruth10, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Ruth10

Ruth10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    I got my chickens this past Saturday. I found a couple Buckeye pullets and my friend's father-in-law gave me two. Well, on Sunday morning I was trying to get into the coop (it's an A-frame) and was being careful to not open it too much, just enough to do what I needed to do and one of the chickens decided to fly the coop. she ran thru the neighbor's yard and down the alley! I followed but lost sight of her and looked all day long off/on and could not find her. Any ideas what to do?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hmmmm, how crowded is the place u live?...a lot of houses and fences or is there a lot of space? try looking in bushes and trees..thats where mine go if they out of the run. If u dont know how to catch them....try grabbing their tail feathers, this usaully make them freeze and easy to scoop up(it works for me)

3. Ruth10

Jun 23, 2012
    I live inside the city limits in a smalll rural town and my house borders an alley with houses on both sides of the alley, not real crowded but not open space like the country either. I looked in bushes and trees. I went about calling 'chick chick' and making noises and rustling things but no sign of her.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Ask around, put up posters, put an ad in the paper and on the local radio station.

5. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

is there a food sound they come to like my girls know small white platic contier has live meal worms and come running also the sound of the bread bag makes them come running if you do walk up and down the alley slowly shaking and making the sound. I would also let yoru neighbers know so if they see teh chick they know where to go. good luck

6. Ruth10

Jun 23, 2012
    She's back! When I came home last night she was in the coop. I don't know who found her and brought her back but I had to do a double take when I looked in the coop. So glad! Thanks for all the advice too. I don't think she was happy about being back though. She looked a little sulky. Probably just scared though.

7. ChickadeeRanch

ChickadeeRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    We always let our chickens out on the property and then just before dark they all go in and go to bed all we have to do is close the gate! That's why you get them when they are chicks and become friends with them right away also then they know where their home is and know that it's a safe place to be! If I were you I'd pick them up and give them treats every time you go and visit then hopefully they will begin trusting you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by