lost chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bobd, Jun 14, 2010.

1. bobd

bobd Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    hattiesburg ,Mississippi
    we just finished building a new coop and we moved some pullets to the coop and there are some missing then monday I found a dead pullet on the ground she had a hole in her back then on sat. there was a dead one in the coop it was like it just lied down and died what would this be and what should I do [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your coop is not secure. Your losses are most likely the work of predators. You need to re-examine your set-up and figure out how the birds are getting taken. Once predators realize where there are easy pickings they will keep hitting you until your birds are all gone. Sorry about your losses.

3. bobd

bobd Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    hattiesburg ,Mississippi
    I caught a opossum but someone said that it maybe a mink or a stray dog . my pullets are free range
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Possums eat chickens. That could be your culprit. I don't recommend completely free-ranging. Chickens don't have a very long life expectancy if they don't have an enclosed run space. I let mine free-range when I am out with them, and I've still lost one to a hawk. Most losses occur when birds are free-ranging. An enclosed run is more for their protection than for containment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by