Lost Crevecoeur Hen :-(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LisaJean, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

Well, a couple weeks ago I bought a pair of Crevecoeurs from a local man, planning to sell them to peeps at the upcoming NC get together.

I started out with both of them (with clipped wings) in the backyard with my girls. They wouldn't roost inside the henhouse, so I would have to colelct them and put them inside by force.

Well then one day this week the roo started crowing. Since roos are forbidden in the city, I had to move him inside. Thursday night, I got home late, and didn't go out to collect the hen and put her in the henhouse.

Friday morning she was nowhere to be found. No feathers, nothing. I have scoured every inch of the yard. Either she somehow got out, or something grabbed her, and took her without her dropping any feathers.

So now peeps is only going to get a roo, instead of a pair. I feel so bad about it. The little hen looked to me to keep her safe, and I fell down on the job.

Tomorrow I am going to hand out flyers in the neighborhood to see if anyone has seen her.

Oh, it was funny, I did speak to one neighbor up the way, and told him I'd lost a chicken. He asked me what she looked like. And I was thinking, "She looks like a chicken. If you see a chicken running in the neighborhood, chances are she's the one I'm looking for! How many feral chickens are there around here?"

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    So sorry lisa. I hate loosing my animals. I just lost my beardie... It was awful...

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG]

4. LisaJean

SHE CAME BACK!!!!

I was just out collecting eggs, and I looked up, and there she was, running back and forth on the other side of the fence, trying to get back in the yard!!!!

She has been out on her own for a week. In the city.

5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Great news! Chances are that little snot has a nest someplace. [​IMG] Follow her to see where it is!!!

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's fantastic...
    When Obelisk got out, a pair of geniuses told me that they saw her ontop of a utility pole and she was all black...
    For one, it was a bloody CROW!
    For two, she wouldn't have gotten up there without a cherry picker!

8. LisaJean

Well, my little escape artiste has been reunited with her man, and both are now on their way to a new home with peeps. I think she probably did set up a nest someplace, but I don't plan to go looking for it. There are plenty of animals that will benefit from some free eggs.

I still can't believe that she came back. Over the past few days I've been sort of praying that she was safe and happy, wherever she was, and then lo and behold, she turns up the morning of the swap.

I wish she could talk, to tell us where she's been since Valentine's Day.

9. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    That is just awesome!

[​IMG]

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by