Lost Duck to a Hawk, what to do.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PDurkin, Feb 7, 2011.

1. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Lost a 10 lbs duck to a hawk this afternoon, walked outside and the hawk was on top of one of my girls. Should I get a gun? I want the hawk to pay...

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Don't know about your state but in Missouri it is illegal to shoot hawks. I am sorry that you had to lose one like that. Last fall a hawk flew into my coop and got one of my hens. Luckily I figured out what was going on before he got anymore of them.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Don't know about your state but in Missouri it is illegal to shoot hawks.

It's illegal in every state
    It's Federal law​

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about your duck, it's very sad. It is against federal law to harass or kill a raptor. It would be best to pen your ducks and chickens in a covered run for a while until he leaves. Or, if you still want to free range, possibly try to provide more cover for them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    You can get a gun, but it is probably illegal to discharge it where you live. As far as shooting the hawk, ahh, not a good idea. HEAVY fine for just interfering with a hawk, much less killing one. Do your ducks have cover to get under to avoid hawk attacks in the future? Once a bird of prey finds food, it will keep coming back until the food is gone. You may find that the only way to keep your ducks safe is to put them in a covered "run" , like chicken owners do, when you can't be there to supervise free ranging.

Some people hang disposable pie pans from trees to frighten hawks and other birds of prey from the yard.
    Some people say cats and dogs (esp dogs) keep hawks from molesting their birds.
    Some people have seen roosters defend their flock from hawks and other birds of prey.
    Some people say none of these things work 100% of the time and loss of birds is part of raising them.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope the hawk forgets where he got his last meal and you never see it again.

6. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    See if you can attract some crows to your area, they are a good help here. I dont know if you have enough room, but maby invest in a couple of guinea fowl.

I am sure that shooting a hawk will be illeagle there, but for now keep the ducks penned up for a few days.

7. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:What do guinea fowl do for hawks? My hawk even got two of mine In their coop and just left them, didnt even attempt to eat them

8. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am so sorry. I know it makes you very sad when you loose one of your flock to a predator. We lost our Buff Brahma hen last week. I am still quite sad over losing her. She was so young (4months) it makes me soooo mad. I am hoping to add an addition to our chicken coup ( a covered run). I don't want anyone else getting killed.

9. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:It's illegal in every state
    It's Federal law

Oh okay. I knew it was here didn't know it was federal. Chicken Hawks are everywhere around here. I wonder if that is why they are called Chicken Hawks...?hmm

10. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Thanks everybody for your replies, its nice to know I am not alone [​IMG]

What do Guinea Fowl do to protect against hawks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by