lost eggs FOUND

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snowflake, Oct 24, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] for some time my hens were not laying many eggs, I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Fall? Lice? Molt? Well yes they were molting, 3or4 out of 20 some young, not sure if they were laying yet or not. Today my Grandsons were out in the yard playing and they came running in the house. Grandma we found a nest. and it is FULL of eggs. so we all run out to see and sure enough, in the tall grass a nest with 20 eggs. so later that eve I went out to check and make sure they weren't still laying in that nest and found another nest with 18 eggs in it. Those little buggers. Now I need to go out and check the whole yard. I am amazed we haven't had coons coming for a free meal. I think this as been going on for at least a month.
    moral of the story, hens quit laying? look around maybe not [​IMG]

2. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    That is too funny! I also found a nest of about 10 eggs on the other side of the fence. Funny thing is that my White Crested Polish, the one I thought was a roo, is the only one that goes over to that side of the fence! Maybe he is a she?! I am completely confused now!

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I was out looking in the yard myself today. I have 7 chicks from the spring and only one is laying. So I was out hunting, but I didnt find any. dang it.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Last year I found one nest under the front porch, waaaaaay back, and another 1/4 acre away behing some stuff leaning against the garage! [​IMG]

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] Look in the tall grass and briers, were you think they are getting out of the sun or hiding from the big scary rooster or people. crazy birds!

6. momonator

momonator Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    My girls were laying eggs on my front and side porches. Then, a few weeks ago, my 9 year old grandniece stayed with me for a week. She was fascinated by the whole process and would sit and watch the hens as they layed...Well, they stopped laying there! For about 2 weeks I've been trying to get them to lay in some boxes. I now find eggs in the hen house and yesterday I found 15 eggs under my house. I have a leghorn who lays white eggs, and I haven't seen a white egg in 2 weeks! Every morning I say, I'm going to follow her, but I've got other things to do than follow her around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by