Lost Eggs!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eddie-k, Jul 12, 2008.

1. eddie-k

eddie-k Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Warner, Oklahoma
    This may sound really stupid, but I'm a new egg, sooo... I was given a few wild game hens a couple of weeks ago. I mean really wild. I can't get withing 15 feet of them and they won't get close to roosting in the little chicken coop at night. They roost about 10 feet up one of our trees in the back yard. One of them layed a couple of eggs shortly after I got them, but I haven't seen one of their eggs in about 10 days. I've looked around but can't find a nest on the ground anywhere. Is there some game hen nesting characteristic I should be looking for when searching? I know this is probably a retarded question, but I really don't want the hen to start setting and have a bunch of wild game chickens running around. I like their eggs, but I'm kind of partial to my buff orps. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    LOL, from what I've read on this forum hens are VERY GOOD at hiding their nests!!! If they are going broody, u won't see them or their nests for about a month, except for maybe once a day to grab some food and take a huge dump. They may also be molting, I've read that chickens stop laying when it's time to molt. Good luck!!!

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    except for maybe once a day to grab some food and take a huge dump

[​IMG]

4. eddie-k

May 1, 2008
    Warner, Oklahoma
    Still no signs of the game hens nest, and thank goodness for no golfball sized chicken poop! Probably just a very inconsistent layer.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've seen game hens lay eggs in the most bizzare places. We once had an old combine and one climbed up inside of it to get broody once. I've seen them in the middle of rose bushes. They prefer very shaded spots. Good luck. They really do keep the bugs cleaned up around your home... You gotta love them for that.

6. eddie-k

May 1, 2008
    Warner, Oklahoma
    They do stay very busy, I'll give 'em that. I just wish they'd catch the stinking skeeters along with all the other bugs their eating. It would really make life in the backyard wonderful and I'd sure appreciate them then.

7. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    They may not be laying at all. It is normal for hens to stop laying for a while when their environment changes, especially when moved. They should start laying again soon.

8. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Duplicate

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by