Lost electric this morning for 2.5 hours - Have ?'s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 19hhbelgian, Jan 26, 2010.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    So, we lost electric this morning for 2.5 hours... Both of my incubators are full, and have staggered hatches in them. One bator has eggs that were on lock down. The temps on the incubators, after they finally came back on read about 69 for my Brinsea, and 73 for the r-com. The Brinsea has my hatching eggs in it. Has the temp loss doomed my eggs that were close to hatching? I candled a few of the eggs in the R-com, and saw movement in those yet, so hopefully more of them will keep going rather than quit. Oh yeah, I had 1 serama chick in the brooder box (everybody else was too old to put him in with them) and he must've gotten scared, and tried moving around. Well, he ended up drowning himself in the waterer [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    You saw my thread, I had a good hatch with the ones that were the most mature and my bator was colder than yours it was down to 58 inside the incubator and it is a large cabinet so I would guess took longer to cool off.

I will see this weekend and next what happens to my staggered hatch'

Good luck with yours

By the way we just had our huge draft horse show here in Denver we had a bunch of very large belgian horses at the show. Our show hosted the Six horse world championship and was won by a Belgian hitch. The wheel horses were 19 hands plus and must have pushed 3000 lbs each they were huge.

3. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Do not open the incubator until it gets at the right temperature again. nothing is failed yet.
    this happens to me once in a while that I have power out during hatching but I still hatch chickens on the hatch date.
    Even quails I hatch out with power outage.
    I see it as when my refrigerator is of when I don't have power. As long as we don't open it the inside stay cool. As soon as you open it the temp will drop and don't recover.
    Good luck, don't give up hope yet. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I had the same thing happen - lost electricity in February and it got really cold before we got the generator going. I had a good hatch so I'm sure you will too. Good luck!

5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    how far along were your eggs?

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I didn't open it until it heated back up, so good there [​IMG] My eggs were put in 2 days ago, a batch at about 7 days, and a few at about 13 days. Well, [​IMG]

7. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    The Hen leaves her nest every once in a while

Good Luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by