1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost. Every. One.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mich9510, Aug 30, 2016.

1. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I'm heartbroken. I had 17 duck eggs that were developing great. Day 11 (yesterday) I candled a few and they were moving around in their shells. I have been so excited. I have a little giant still air with fan in it to circulate the air. I have been watching it like a hawk because I've heard they aren't very reliable. I have two additional thermometers/humidity monitors. Calibrated them both a few days ago, great right?
    I turned the eggs and said goodnight at midnight last night. Woke up a little before 3 to use the bathroom. Checked on the incubator. Heat was up to 122 degrees. LG digital read said 99.3 but I know that is wrong and my two accurate monitors said 121 and 122. I cried. I took the lid off and immediately tried to cool the eggs down hoping that maybe it just happened but the eggs were hot. I cooled them down anyway and I have them in a new incubator but I'm sure they are lost. I'll candle them tonight but I probably have little duck omlets in the shells.
    When I started this project I was like "it will be interesting but I'm sure none will hatch". As I've seen them start to develop I got more and more excited and hopeful. This has been a big part of my life and now I'm just so sad. I know it was only 11 days but that's just how I feel. Thanks for listening.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That's awful! I'm so sorry. Maybe you can try again, if these don't work? Hoping at least one survived.

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    One word. Devastating.

1 person likes this.
  4. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    :hugs I am so so sorry for your loss.

I've done the same- the incubator thermometer read 37.5'C but the actual temp was a lot higher. Hopefully a little duck has survived, if not don't beat yourself up too bad and try again.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Oh no!! So, so sorry! That is terrible. Fingers crossed that maybe a few survived. [​IMG]

6. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    There is hope! I don't know how but I spot candled about 8 of the eggs and I had 5 moving around inside! I don't want to mess with them too much after the trauma of last night so I just misted them and put the lid back on the incubator. I will do my official candling on Saturday night to see how the air pockets look. I do have a dumb question though. Of the eggs that did die, how long will it take them to explode? I didn't trace their air pockets or even candle all of them. I was just going to trace the air cells on Saturday. If the bad eggs will explode before then, I'll do it sooner but I just don't want to mess with them too much right now. I also feel like just because I can't see them move, it doesn't mean they have died right? They could just be sleeping like a baby would in the womb. Can I get some advice on what everyone would do if they were in this situation? Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yay! I don't know how long it would take for duck eggs. Hopefully someone else comes along and can help out...

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    They won't explode if they don't smell... exploding eggs is from bacteria getting into the egg and they stink way beforr they will explode... so no worries, just pull it if it starts to smell...

1 person likes this.
  9. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Well I figured out what the problem with my incubator was and I feel like such a boob. When I misted the eggs, the sensor got wet and that caused the temp to spike. I know this because it almost happened again the other day. Temp spiked to 104. I caught it right away so it's all good. I dried the sensor and it's been working like a champ. My hovabator on the other hand...

10. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Good Luck! I'm glad that you've solved the problem with your incubator and I'm even glader that some of your duckies are still alive. keep us posted :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by