Lost Ewe.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Run-A-Muck Ranch, May 20, 2008.

1. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I just posted a topic on our unexpected baby lamb that was born yesterday....

We also lost a ewe last night... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Around 7:30 last night Jason was mowing along the sheep fence lines...
    He came in the house and had me come out...
    There was T.J. (aka 'Big Dumby' [​IMG] ) laying on the ground.
    She was still warm and her limbs were still moveable. Steam was still coming out of her mouth. She was very very freshly dead. I have no clue what happened to her...SHE IS NOT THE EWE THAT LAMBED YESTERDAY.

She was fine yesterday when I walked out there before and after 'Zoey' had her baby. Even in the evening she came walking up to the barn a few times. Then all the sudden she was gone.
    I don't know if she got bloat and died, got into something, or maybe something bit her. I haven't got a clue.
    She had a lamb in Feb/March. A little girl...(It was a set of twins, but the other died before I even knew they were born). 'A-fee-fee' ~~her baby~~ has cried all night for her mommy. I think I am going to have to put her in with another little bottle baby lamb I have until she stops crying...

This was our oldest daughters ewe. She was very upset crying and what not...(Ironically the ewe that had the baby yesterday was also hers).

T.J. was very healthy and Abby was working with her all the time. She was going to show her in the Fair in June for 4-H. This is her first year, and now she had to loose a sheep that she was going to show. Poor girl I feel bad for her....

Well just wanted to share.
    It's funny how such and exciting and thrilling day can turn so saddening and hurtful in just a matter of moments....

Shawna

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I just posted for the you other post. This is awful. I'm so sorry for your loss. Is there any way to find out what went wrong.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    thats the sad thing.sometimes animales die an we dont know why they died.

4. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I'm so sorry for your family's loss, Shawna. [​IMG]

5. barred rock'er

barred rock'er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Man, I know how attached we 4-H'ers get to our projects, especially the live ones. you guy's are in my prayers.

I definetely think you should have an autopsy done asap,
    especially if she has NO bite marks or lacerations,or signs of bloat. usually a vet can tell pretty quickly what the cause of death was. and hopefully confirm it wasn't anything contagious.

Do you have any feed for any other animals(cows,horses etc.) that has copper in it? Maybe she ate some of it???

good luck with the rest of them,and for this show season.
    God Bless,
    Matt

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

barred rock'er :

I definetely think you should have an autopsy done asap,
    especially if she has NO bite marks or lacerations,or signs of bloat. usually a vet can tell pretty quickly what the cause of death was. and hopefully confirm it wasn't anything contagious.

Do you have any feed for any other animals(cows,horses etc.) that has copper in it? Maybe she ate some of it???

Thank you everyone...Your kindness is very much appreciated...

We talked about sending her to the vet for an autopsy, but husband had her burried before I could even make the phone call...(wanted it done before the girls got more upset). As for the feed, nothing...Our goat and llama's all eat the same thing. The pig feed is sealed tightly. And they don't have access to the part of the barn where that's kept even if they did get out of there pen, the feed is all behind closed doors....

I know she was a little older than the rest, but she was still only about 5 (6 at the oldest).
    I am thinking maybe bloat as they have only been in the new pasture for about 4 days, and the grass was pretty wet last night, she might of just eatten to much...All the others are still doing great.....

Thanks everyone again, for all your kindness...
    Shawna​

8. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    OH.. [​IMG] I'm sorry. Are you in NC or VA by any chance? I have a polypay/romney cross your daughter could have and work with if she wanted her. It's a ewe and I believe she's rebred about a month now with our kathadin ram. I dunno if I'm even offering anything she'd consider.... but if it'd make her happy?? Oreo is a sweetheart....

Stacy

9. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] I had the same thing happen to one of my sheep. He was fine one day, and he was dead the next, died in my arms. My livestock vet said it was probably phosphorus(sp?), grain animals can get an unbalance of it and sometimes they are unable to pee, and with sheep it's 99.9% fatal because their urinary track is shaped like an L and they can't get a catheter in it.

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:That is so wonderful of you to offer. I just read your post to Abby and she said MOM WE SHOULD GO GET HER!!!!
    To bad we actually live in Wisconsin.....

That is so kind of you to offer though....

Thank you so much....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by