Lost feathers (and how do I get them to come back)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by April Fountain, Jun 30, 2010.

1. April Fountain

April Fountain In the Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Hello- Several months ago I posted a question regarding one of my poor RIR chickens who had a large red area on her back where she had lost her feathers. I suspected at the time it was the rooster who was not being as gentle as he could be with her. It was advised that I get a chicken saddle which I did and that she wore for about 5 months. The feathers did not grow back and the area continued to be red (although not openly bleeding) just very red and raw. Since then she has lost most of her feathers underneath and I just noticed that some are now gone on her head too. She seems healthy otherwise but her skin is so red and now another of my chickens I noticed is getting the same thing down between her legs so it doesn't seem like the rooster could be doing this.
    I have 12 chickens total and none of the other ones have this condition. They are all free range and it wouldn't really be too easy to keep them isolated or caged up but I will if you think that best. I do not see the other chickens pecking on her nor does it seem like normal molting but maybe it is? Would only a couple of chickens do this if they are all the same age? Any help out there? Could she have excema or be allergic to something perhaps?
    also I have taken the saddle off since she was also loosing feathers on other parts of her body and it didn't seem to help her backside anyway.
    Thank you so much for any suggestions.
    Aloha from Hawaii
    April Fountain

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Give them hard boiled or scrambled eggs to up their protien... What kind of feed are you giving them?

3. April Fountain

April Fountain In the Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Wow, thanks for answering so quickly! Eggs, really??? I give them two way scratch, some layer pellets and a tad of oyster shell. Whatdaya think? They are free range so I would think they get a lot of bugs and insects during the day.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks again......................

4. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I give my gals eggs, meat and some cat food kibble during their molt. I think that should help out here too!!

5. luvchicks10

luvchicks10 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    Um so would I feed my chick eggs too because she is loosing feathers on her back. She has little red bugs on her but she is the youngest of them all. She is a few weeks and the rest are a month. So I think the big ones are trying to eat the bugs off her and plucking her feathers instead. So should I put her in her on box away from the rest?? It would be wonderful if you can reply back soon. Thanks!

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Make sure to check for lice/mites and dust with Sevin 5% if you see any. Mites can cause feather loss and lower egg production, so if you see abnormal feather loss it's often mites. Sometimes they can be hard to see because they move fast.

7. luvchicks10

luvchicks10 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    I have seen the bug it was small and red.

8. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Your chick has mites you need to treat her for those now. There are many different products for that but get one to dust her with. To the OP have you checked for mite/lice that could be causing the problem with your hens also. I would offer layer feed 24/7 and the scratch as a treat and free choice oyster shell get a good protein food such as game raiser its like 22% protein mix that with the layer feed that might help also you can scrambled eggs and yogurt. Some dry cat food would be a great protein boost for them.

9. luvchicks10

luvchicks10 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    She is a chick so I feed her chick scratch. So should I separate her from the rest??

10. dkosh

dkosh Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Have you tried dusting her with diatomaceous earth. It works great for lice and mites so I should think the red bugs wouldn't like it either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by