Lost feathers on tummy advice please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by merrymegseggs, Aug 15, 2014.

1. merrymegseggs

merrymegseggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Hi one of our chickens has lost her feathers along the centre of her breast (doesn't look sore), she lost the in May. She also has 2 bare spots on top where her wings join her body. These do look sore. I spoke to a friend (a retired vet) he said if it was mites all the birds would show signs but no one else had. She seems healthy and is laying. I noticed her getting bullied at night so have separated her to roost, but out together in the day which seems fine, but not really any feather re growth.
    Yesterday I noticed one more with slightly bauld but not sore breast. Any ideas?
    As I said all seem otherwise healthy and laying.

2. merrymegseggs

Apr 17, 2014
    Bump!

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Do you have any roosters? Do you think the hen went broody at any point?

4. merrymegseggs

Apr 17, 2014
    No rooster and not neither broody

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked her over for mites, even though you're pretty certain that's not it?
    Is she getting picked on, having feathers pulled out?
    Does her breast/belly area feel exceptionally warm to the touch? She may be "sorta-broody" -- I had a hen do that. She kept laying and seemed fine, but she'd spend extra time in the nest box and she pulled out all her breast/belly feathers. 3 weeks later she went full-on broody so into the broody-buster she went.

If she's got bald spots that seem tender, there is most likely a parasite getting her and if you don't treat her and the rest of the flock, you may lose her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by