Lost Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Helgy1960, May 26, 2019.

1. Helgy1960

Helgy1960 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    I am not sure what is happening here! I could only come to the decision because of having three roosters with the hens! I have moved two out to see if that helps! Does anyone have any idea of you think this could be the problem?

Any ideas would be great or ideas of what I can do. They just don’t looks as pretty!

Attached Files:

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    That does look like rooster damage. More than one rooster to about 8 to 10 hens is too many and over breeding results in this kind of damage. Numbers can vary depending on the actual birds in question, but you have too many roos for how ever many hens you have. The feathers may not grow back in until they molt. You can use hen saddles in the meantime to help protect their backs, they can be purchased here: www.hensaver.com
    or you can make your own, instructions and pattern here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern.424354/#post-5201261

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

100% it's a rooster mounting issue.

They may not grow feathers back in until molt.

Some folks use hen saddles.

Poor ladies... it looks painful.

:fl

4. Helgy1960

Helgy1960 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    Well I know it isn’t over breading, but did really wonder about having two many Roos! I have roughly 26 hens!

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Sometimes ratios don't matter... as they have favorites. :hmm

6. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I have 26 hens and two roo's. Some hens are more submissive than others and will be mounted much more. I have some that need saddles on occasion, usually spring when hormones are raging. Some roo's are just more rough than others, some are quite gentlemanly. There is no right answer for all flocks, there are too many variables. You can try trimming claws and spurs on roo's as that may contribute, but it most definitely is being caused by roo's.

EggSighted4Life likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: