lost feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cliffs_coop, Jan 25, 2011.

1. cliffs_coop

cliffs_coop New Egg

Aug 19, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    This is the first year I've ever raised chickens , so I know I have to learn a few things. I keep my four girls in there coop and gave them a 24x8 foot run to do there thing in . I feed and water everyday and clean or scoop everyday,. the litter on the ground in the coop is wood chips In the upper coop area where they go at night and where the nesting boxes are is is wood chips and shredded newspaper and junk mail (no plastic or glossy stuff).
    Ive noticed on of the black americanas is losing her fearthers on the back of the hear and neck, and there has been latey one one pile of runny droppings.
    I have also noticed that they have to been eating the grass outside the coop by sticking there heads through the cracks in the boards. it must be a tight fit even for there heads , so I thought she might have rubbed her feathers off that way. also she seems to be the one at the low end of the pecking order. I also heard about dust you sprinkle in their bedding for mites or something , should I be doing that? and what is it?Im not total sure of anything except that I dont know whats causeing the problem. any advise or knowlege is welcome, to keep my girls happy and healthy.
    thank you
    cliffs_coop

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    How old is she? When was her last molt? Is she loosing feathers anywhere else?
    We can start with those....

Oh, and [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well first off ....[​IMG] you might have a feather plucker especially if she at the bottom of the pecking order.. This time of year it seems to be worse because of boredom and the cold and snow.... If you can figure out who might be doing it and remove her for a few days, then put her back it will upset the pecking order enough hopefully that it will stop, If you can get hold of some blue kote to spray on your hen where shes lost her feathers this will cover up any wound or redness, Chickens are attracted to blood and wounds... you can also put things in their coop to help pass the boredom, cabbage hanging from a sting or wire, scatter Boss or scratch around for them to scratch through, also a flock block will give them something else to do besides plucking each other. this can get serious and out of hand sometimes so you need to take care of it. Good Luck and lets us know how it goes....[​IMG]

4. cliffs_coop

cliffs_coop New Egg

Aug 19, 2010
    First off, thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. My girls are almost a year old. I purchased them last march; I haven’t seen any other bare spot so far.The boredom, theory sound very feasible, I usually move the coop to give them fresh ground to scratch, but the winter has stopped that from happening. I purchased some garden and poultry dust. I will apply to the bedding and the ground but not the nests. And get them a block to peck at.
    Thanks again
    Cliff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by