Lost Golden Comets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sophief, Dec 15, 2014.

1. sophief

sophief New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    East Hampton, NY
    My two golden comet hens went missing sometime around 3-5. It is dark and there is not much light. They always return to the coop at dusk. I only have those two girls so they are together. I searched for them in the car. They never go further than the neighbors yard. I live in a foresty neighborhood. I am worried they got eaten but there's no sign of feathers. Any tips. I'm really worried.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They may be roosting in a tree or shrub nearby.
    They could likely return in the morning if you haven't seen signs of a fight.

3. sophief

sophief New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    East Hampton, NY
    I hope they do, but I'm still sick to my stomach worried.[​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've occasionally found them roosting on the roof, a nearby fence, in a shrub or a tree. It's really hard at night even with a flashlight. If they aren't dead yet, they can easily survive. Even though they're night blind, they have been known to escape night predators. Being in a coop that a predator gets in is more of a death sentence than a bird in a tree.

5. sophief

sophief New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    East Hampton, NY
    That comforts me. Thanks, and I guess I'll jus wait out until the morning to look.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I hope they return.

I've had baby chicks escape into the forest at dusk in the winter only to return in the morning looking for mom.

They're very resilient. They have instincts that have kept them going since the Eocene period.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You live in a forested area, you said. A coyote, fox or bobcat, especially a bobcat, can take a bird without leaving feathers, I hate to tell you. I do hope your birds are still around, however, I know of a 12 lb rooster taken from the porch of a friend's home in a short space of time without the loss of a single feather (he was bright, blazing red). She searched through the woods and never found a trace of him. The ONLY thing that could take a rooster that huge, silently, a very predator-experienced rooster in her area (Kentucky) without any other roosters alerting or any sound would be a bobcat, IMHO. It does happen, unfortunately. You have other local predators as well, such as fishers. I have heard that they are much further south than they used to be, too. Oh, joy.

I'm holding out hope your girls will return, but prepare yourself. Reality can really bite sometimes. My neighbor across from my driveway has two Golden Comets as well, super sweet gals, so I can imagine how you must feel. I'm sorry you're having to stress through it, but such is the risk of free ranging in a predator-rich environment.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. sophief

sophief New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    East Hampton, NY
    Thank you for the tips. I found them this morning, stuck in my neighbor's fenced in yard. I got them and are happily in their coop. Thank you for your help.[​IMG]

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Can you place some netting or welded wire fencing along top of the current fence leaning toward your yard? That may help keep them in.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by