Lost guinea hens

garagegirl

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Hi there I have a question about my guineas. I have seven I guess three of them are males the other four are females( the have a prominent white bottom wing feather). Last night none of them were in their pen at night. Only three showed up this morning at feeding time after I called them ( since they were babies and started making the buckwheat sound we call them by calling out buckwheat buckwheat and they come around to us) so at feeding time tonight I called and only the three showed up.

So my ? Is could the hens be off laying eggs somewhere in the tall weeds or fields or did all four possibly get ate by coyotes over night?
Thank you for any answers. Have a great night.

They could very well be broody. They could also just not have imprinted on the coop (how old are they?) and decided to roost and feed in the forest.

I hope you find them soon. Best of luck!

They are 3 or 4 months old now. We had them inside our garage until they got big enough to out in their pen which we put netting over the top so they could not get out until it was time.

My first thought was they were out laying eggs somewhere. Probably not in their pen because they share with our 6 ducks and a few of our chickens also they seem to like that pen at night instead of the barn with the other 40 chickens or so.

This is our first time raising guineas.
Thank you for the answer. Have a great day.

They are 3 or 4 months old now. We had them inside our garage until they got big enough to out in their pen which we put netting over the top so they could not get out until it was time.

My first thought was they were out laying eggs somewhere. Probably not in their pen because they share with our 6 ducks and a few of our chickens also they seem to like that pen at night instead of the barn with the other 40 chickens or so.

This is our first time raising guineas.
Thank you for the answer. Have a great day.

At 3 to 4 months old, it is very unlikely that your guineas are laying eggs. If you somehow get lucky and get your guineas back, don't expect them to lay eggs until next spring. Sorry that you lost them but this sounds more like a predator has gotten them.

On another note the prominent white bottom wing feathers have nothing to do with whether or not a guinea is a hen as this can happen in both males and females.

Back
Top Bottom