Lost half my ISA Browns today

Ken H

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Stupid neighbors let their dogs run free and they killed 2 of my little girls. Caught the little s***ts on one of my girls. Had a loaded shotgun but restrained myself. Gathered the bodies and put in the freezer. Went to the neighbor and confronted him. He wanted to give me two of his birds to make up for it. I told him I did'nt want his birds as mine were ISA Brown sex-links and layed a consistant egg per day without fail. Moreover they layed large to jumbo eggs. Told him that the hens were worth $60.00 each and the loss of egg production was $120.00 per year plus the cost of the chickens. If he did'nt pony up $250.00 I would get a lawyer and have a DNA test done on the saliva from the bodies and sue him for losses so he could pay now or suffer the court costs, the costs of the DNA tests, lawyer fees, court costs, fines for not keeping his dogs on his property, and probable euthinasia of his ltttle jewels. Will make a police report tomorrow and contact my attorney The choice is up to him , pay $250.00 now or several thousand later. He was less than happy. We'll see how it goes. I had his little killers in the sights of a 12 gauge but decided to go another route.

hugs.gif
I am sorry for your loss... keep us posted on the outcome

i woulda euthanasized the dog on the spot and still insisted on the payback. But 250 for two birds seems a bit high imo. Most courts will only award between 20-35 per bird.

$250.00 may seem steep but the SOB let his dogs run free which is a 'crime' in Mich. The court costs would be much more., Plus the loss of his little darlings. My objective is to force him to keep his pets under control. Court fees in our current legal ststem are very costly. But it would cost him an arm and a leg. As far as my possible costs, it's worth it. Just going to court to fight it will cost him a bundle and the SOB just may keep his animals under control or get rid of them. Either way I win and my girls will be safer.

Sorry about your girls.

Depriving one of the right to use and enjoy one's property as one sees fit is worthy of civil action in some states.

If dogs here are running loose on this property they were probably struck by a car.

Good luck!

ed:sp

Last edited:
I am very sorry about your girls. I know how you feel as I have lost a number of birds to the carlessness of dog owners. It is unfortunate that not all pet owners can do the right thing and maintain control of their animals.
I wish you luck my friend.

Quote:
ok, as long as you realize you will be paying money to teach him a lesson. I also live in michigan. If it's legal to shoot the dog where you live, often in this state that's the best you can hope for. Unless your neighbors want to order you started birds.

PS Ken - Just so you know, I am on your side on this... But I know how our court systems work at least on my side of the state.

Last edited:
Be certain that you are completely legal concerning your chooks, number, and entire operation. You may have given the man a reason in his mind, to pursue you on that regard, maybe sooner than later. I think that as mad as I would be, I might be inclined to sit down with him and reach a consensus. The bigger picture is that you have him for a neighbor which is a hard thing to change. I would be firm but not belligerent in telling him that his two dogs have had their one act of mercy and that no mercy would be granted if they repeat their attacks.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom