lost half of my flock today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by budd, Sep 15, 2012.

1. budd

budd New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    i had 6 chickens and today my wife was home and heard something in the back went to check and the neighbors form down the streets husky had gotten loose and destroyed my coop and killed 3 and injured 1 don't know if she will live. my father came over and the dog bit him but he got the dog tied up.my wife is very upset. the "girls" just starting laying last month and we were getting 4 eggs a day. i lost 1 Golden Sex Link and 2 new Hampshire reds and might lose my last golden sex link hen. i am currently out of town in Rochester MN till the 20 of September. if anyone knows or is selling any new Hampshire reds in the area i would love to buy some to bring back home to the wife. i will be near Indianapolis IN on the 21 of September and will be back home near Louisville ky after that.

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm sorry. How awful. What are you going to do with the dog?

(My neighbor had a husky and had to get rid of her when she had a baby because she became very aggressive towards him.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. budd

budd New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    well my father took him back to the owner, probably better that he was there and not me i would have killed the dog after killing my birds and biting me.

4. Bantie

Bantie Out Of The Brooder

How horrible for your family to have something like that happen. I hope your father wasn't seriously injuired and doesn't get an infection. I understand how angry you and your wife must feel. I have had a dog get to my chickens before. It is heart-breaking to loose chickens to what is supposed to be a domesticated animal. Best wishes for you.

5. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Post on the state threads where you are at to see if you can find what you are looking for. Hope this helps, sorry for your loss.

Maye

Ride the Glide.....Got Gait.....I Do.....

6. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Sorry but people should control their dogs or deal with them being shot. The neighbor should for real pay the damages.

7. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    So sorry for your loss. Dogs that bite people have stepped it up a notch- report the bite to Animal Care and Control and by law the owner will have to undergo a little different scrutiny then 'just" property damage... Dog will have to undergo quaruntine(did the bite draw blood?), etc... It is a serious thing....

1 person likes this.
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So sorry to hear of this. Make sure you take care of the dog before getting more chickens. Dogs that bite don't live too long around here.

9. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm so sorry to hear that. :\ I just had a similar thing happen to me, but was able to build my flock up again pretty quickly. (Not that it's made much difference as my hens are laying somewhere in the yard and I have no idea where. I'm only getting about 2 eggs a day and I have about 10-15 hens.) Hopefully you'll be able to replace your girls soon.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely do this. It will provide leverage if the dog returns and should be on record.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by