LOST HATCH

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dddCT, Aug 23, 2008.

1. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    We unfortunately lost our hatch. I have some questions that I hope someone may be able to help me with. The chicks all developed and were big compared to the only one that did hatch.

None of the bird that died had their heads in the direction of the air sac. When I opened them no fluid came out and the membrane was very dry and stuck to the chicks. Was this a temperature thing or humidity thing or just a mishap.

WE have a new hatch going in another incubator and don't want to repeat any mistakes. I thought we did everything right but something went wrong somewhere.

We did have a spike in temp the day the sole surviving chick hatched but I suspect these others were already gone by then.

Help

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Probably a humidity issue if the membranes were dry and stuck to the chicks. [​IMG] Better luck next time. I'm sorry.

3. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    was the humidity too high or too low. I'm not sure which one causes what issues. The new hatch has no water in the incubator and the hygrometer has the humidity at 50%. I read that is about right but there is so difference of opinion on that and I'm not sure where I need to be

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just guessing but I'd say the humidity was too low.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I dry incubate, humidity is usually in the 30's, I have not had an egg pip on the wrong end since I started doing this, or a "shrink wrapped" chick. I then put my humidity in the 50's for hatch, it naturally rises as the hatch progresses. The only ones I have lost since doing all this are the defective ones [​IMG] . Without having a record of exactly how all your numbers were it is hard to diagnose. I will say that I was a mess trying to maintain my humidity the way everyone says to, now it's easy.

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by