lost heat during incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allcrackedup, Jan 13, 2011.

1. allcrackedup

allcrackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    So i have 12 blue laced red wyandottes paul's line in the bator and the bulb wen't out on day 9 temp droped 65 degress.. i began to panic but after some research i decided to just wait it out it's now day 17 evening and i just candeled and 8 are doing perfect, 2 are 1-2 days behind and i lost 2.. should i ceep the 2 that are behind on the turner for 2 more days or just put all in lockdown any thoughts would help thanks.....

5 ee , 9 dottes, 2rir, 2 cochin, and 5 australorps

2. allcrackedup

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    anybody

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I would go ahead and put those two in lockdown but mark them so you know if they don't hatch right away not to worry about it... Just keep them in there until they hatch... Do not open the bator before they hatch unless the hatched chicks have been in there for at least 2-3 days!! They will live off the yolk they absorb and will be fine for up to 72 hours! I would also give the two that may be behind til day 27 or 28 since it's not unusual for them to hatch even that long after the standard 21 days...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. allcrackedup

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    Thanks greengodess thats what i will do then..

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    a broody hen will sometimes take a walk. Its ok for them to cool some during incubation. it usually just slows them down, but if they stay cold long enough it can kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by